Recent content by superdragon

1. superdragon

Pressure relief valve to reduce pipe bursting?

Thanks Terry (and others). Guess that's what I'll do. Although..... I don't understand the part about the hot water pipes splitting faster than the cold ones. Speaking of which............. When we shut off the water, does that mean draining the hot water heater completely too? Or is it safe...
  2. superdragon

OK, thanks. Like I said, I'm certainly not an expert. I'm actually moving from a moderate weather area (CA after almost 50 years) to the colder climates of Kansas. Obviously, there will be a lot of changes and things I need to be aware of that I previously took for granted before and so, I...
  3. superdragon

After giving it some more thought, I have now changed my mind and believe that in fact, a pressure relief valve will not be effective in reducing pipe burst issues. The reason is that initially, I was thinking that as the water inside the pipe begins freezing along the inside circumfrence, it...
  4. superdragon

So.... the website at the link in my previous post speaks rubbish then? :confused:
  5. superdragon

Initially, I also thought that ice freezing would cause pipes to burst right at the point of freeze. However, after thinking about it some more, it makes sense that the pipe burst would far more likely occur in a fluid section. The reason is this: When the water in the pipe freezes, it is...
  6. superdragon

That runs contrary to what this website is saying: http://www.weather.com/activities/homeandgarden/home/hometips/severeweather/pipefreeze_prevent.html I'm no expert, just trying to educate myself. However, it does make sense seeing that I have heard from many other sources that keeping the...
  7. superdragon

Hello. As I understand it, when water freezes in the water pipes, the point of burst is usually downstream from the freeze and due to excessive pressure build up in the pipes. In other words, pipes burst not due to the freezing itself but due to pressure that builds up in the non-frozen...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks