Recent content by Strazkat

1. S

Shower Drain Workaround

Thanks for that tip! The elevated shower idea is funky, but a lesser evil than punching 2+ inch holes in 3 joists. I’m determined to not put any holes in structural members for anything but electrical wire. I recognize that replacing the only tub in the house with a shower negatively impacts...
  2. S

Shower Drain Workaround

I have to respect your point of view! Normally, that's the way I like it myself. This 1905 or so house wasn't plumbed to 2013 code and that makes it rather difficult to update to code without major changes. I’m sure the 1905 bathroom had a cast iron tub with legs, much less demanding on the...
  3. S

Shower Drain Workaround

Not really an option. The lead toilet flange was fastened to a short 4 inch diameter metal pipe [not cast iron] inserted directly into the 4 inch vertical cast iron soil pipe stack bell. It is not perpendicular to the wall and is angled away from the end of the room where the shower will be...
  4. S

Shower Drain Workaround

Your comments in regard to code and the risks of modifications by subsequent owners are noted. That is why I am leaning toward elevating the shower and staying code compliant. I may win lotto and have the opportunity to move up!. The step up would be a pain, but it would still be lower than...
  5. S

Shower Drain Workaround

Jimbo: The point I was trying to pose is that may have gotten lost above is that I could increase the slope with 1.5 versus the 2 inch. Is the benefit of the increased slope greater than the loss of capacity in the 2 inch. Also, the room is 12 feet. After allowing for the short distance if...
  6. S

Shower Drain Workaround

Jimbo: In regard to the slope. The material I have read indicates that too much slope is bad because the liquid "outruns" the solids. In the case of a shower, there are no solids. I'm assuming the texts refers to toilet solids primarily. So, in this case would more slope than 1/4" be...
  7. S

Shower Drain Workaround

I will appreciate your comments on a workaround I am considering for waste water for a second floor shower. The tub I am replacing drained into one of those lead toilet flanges that will be history and there is no other available option for waste water just below the second floor. This...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks