Recent content by StephK

1. StephK

Basement floor drain trap questions

3"? Loos like IPC says 2". I'm in Richmond, VA.
  2. StephK

ahhhh, a built in cleanout. OK, cool. Thanks!
  3. StephK

Hi all - I'm adding a floor drain to my basement pottery studio. Got the concrete cut out to get all the new kitchen and bathroom connected into the old cast iron. Figured this was the time to do it. I had planned to use one of the Oatey bell drains so I didn't have to dig down so far to make...
  4. StephK

Bath, kitchen sink, venting question (yes, another one)!

ya, the tub drain is pretty long ... 1.5" drain and I think it's about 9 feet. Definitely more than 6.
  5. StephK

In addition to the very sketchy (not quite leaky, but almost) connections, the other reason to re-do all these pipes is that the current kitchen sink is ALWAYS clogging up. It's amazing how much gunk fills these pipes over the 100 years. So ya, i'm gonna do a 2" pipe, no question asked!
  6. StephK

Ahhh, right you are. Doh! OK, let me see if there is any way to rearrange those. There is a cast iron connection there that is in good condition so I didn't want to mess with it. But ya, let me see if I can figure that out. I get it now. Thanks so much to all of you (AS ALWAYS)!
  7. StephK

OK, that makes sense. Given that this is a 1-bedroom apt, that one person won't be showering, or toileting, while working at the kitchen sink. But good to understand the reasoning for the code. But my question is, if I move the kitchen to AFTER the tub/lav, isn't the WC still venting thru the...
  8. StephK

hmmmm, ya I can't squeeze the kitchen sink into the wc 3" after the lav/tub - that connection is right up at the stack. Curious what diff. it makes to drop the kitchen sink in before or after that tub/lav? I don't quite get the significance there. Either way the WC still hits those connections...
  9. StephK

Hi Plumber friends - I know, I know, this question has been asked so many times. But I've spent several hours studying up, and I just want confirmation that I"m OK. I renovating a current apartment bathroom from below, while someone lives there, b/c I can't wait any longer to put a ceiling up...
  10. StephK

Connecting into old cast iron hub - help!

GOT IT!! Phew, that was a doozie! Ended up grinding the edge of the CI hub, and also the 2” PVC. Then a ton of lubricant, and some manpower from my husband, got that thing in. That was a project that took way longer than expected. But here is the finished product, isn’t she pretty.
  11. StephK

Ugh, this donut thing is impossible. I ordered a 4x2 donut to fit in my 4” cast iron hub and that thing aint going in there. It’s very tight location and impossible to really pound on it. I don’t know if I’m just not able to get a good pound, or is this donut too large. My question is, how...
  12. StephK

Thank you for the tips. So nobody said "Yikes you don't want to do that yourself!!", so that's good! I've never used a donut before, so thank you for the link, our local place doesn't have them (Yes, I'm connecting 2 or 3" PVC, so will need that). I think i'll shoot for the #1 option, but if...
  13. StephK

Hello plumbing friends - It's been a few years but i'm back in search of some of your excellent plumbing advice. Renovating our old 1907 home and need to remove a bunch of junk all the way back to the vertical stack. I've attached a photo here of the problem child. You will see that the elbow...
  14. StephK

Maximum temp for suspended hydronic PEX floor heat

Well, funny you should mention it, but we did put in a Trane mini split pancake unit for this same area of the house. It hangs in the linen closet with 3 attic ducts, one to each room. I’d have to look up the model # and BTU, but we mainly put it in for AC in the summer. We do have a wall...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks