Recent content by SonOfGloin

1. SonOfGloin

I'm at my wits end with this corrugated copper pipe. How to stop this leak?

Success! No leaks - finally! As you can see, I followed @wwhitney 's idea of converting the male copper threads to brass, using a FIP coupling and a close hex nipple. I used PTFE tape and dope on the appropriate threads, and also on the overflow tank. I did not use any on the four...
  2. SonOfGloin

Looks like my cold nipple is connected to a dip tube: https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/removing-heat-trap-nipples-surprise-see-post-6.73701/#post-543827 It appears that this is not a simple swap out. Can I clean the cold nipple threads with a wire brush and try again with the...
  3. SonOfGloin

Okay, I think I'm going to try one of @wwhitney 's earlier suggestions and make it so that the flex pipes thread to brass mpt, keeping the existing copper 3/4" mpt and using a coupling and a nipple. That is, the transition will look like the following: (Existing 3/4"copper mpt) --> (3/4" brass...
  4. SonOfGloin

I think the flex pipes came with flat style washers already installed. Actually, back in March when I was originally doing this and constantly removing (and occasionally replacing) the flex pipe, I picked up the same pack of replacement washers that @Kreemoweet linked. Still leaked
  5. SonOfGloin

Hi all, My apologies for going AWOL on this. Having the pinhole leak almost seal itself (at least to the point where there wasn't perennial dripping) afforded me the opportunity to move on to other pressing projects, but fully fixing this has been on my to-do for months. Here's where I am...
  6. SonOfGloin

10 wraps of teflon and a moderate tightness - pinhole leak is still there, but very slow. The universe is allowing me a shower, or at least in an hour or so. I'm going to take this opportunity to do hot water things that have been put off (e.g. laundry, dishes). This buys me some time to...
  7. SonOfGloin

Sure seems to be compressing nicely against the washer: The copper also doesn't have any deep scratches. I'd be surprised if the male adapter doesn't have enough threads to adequately compress the washer. The other line is attached to the same adapter, and it sealed perfectly on the first...
  8. SonOfGloin

Well, interestingly, I was able to chase the threads on the MPT adapter - it just took a little more elbow grease on the flex pipe nut without the washer installed. I can now completely bottom it out by hand - it doesn't bind anywhere. I was super confident that this would be it. I...
  9. SonOfGloin

Your intuition is spot on here, Wayne. I followed your suggestion and threaded the flex pipe without the washer installed, and it does indeed encounter resistance at the exact same spot (with about three threads showing). In fact, I wasn't able to muscle it further without feeling like I'd ruin...
  10. SonOfGloin

I followed Tuttle's lead and filed down the base of the threaded adapter. Got it good and flat: Flipped the washer to get a nice new surface on which to seal. Wrapped in a single round of teflon tape for lubrication. Same result - leaks at the threads
  11. SonOfGloin

Prayer is my primary strategy on this :). A good temporary is what I'm shooting for. I'm dying for a hot shower. I'll try Tuttle's method (file down then single wrap for an easier tighten with a new washer. Otherwise I'll go crazy with the tape. What do you recommend I do for a permanent...
  12. SonOfGloin

These washers are fairly robust and malleable, thankfully. I actually tried two different flex connectors. No supply house stuff, though; One from Blue (Apollo brand) and one from Orange (Everbilt brand). Your comment about brass is really interesting. Did I mess up this install by sweating...
  13. SonOfGloin

Thanks for the swift replies, guys. I'm taking cold showers until this gets resolved :) Very interesting thoughts. First, I'll wipe off the silicone grease from the washer - easy peasy. I tried it because I saw it mentioned in an old thread here but I agree that this might make it prone to...
  14. SonOfGloin

I'm hoping to tap the collective wisdom of the seasoned vets here. I'm in the middle of a water heater replacement project and I opted to forgo sweating in rigid copper piping and using a union and instead set it up to accept flexible copper pipe for ease of future replacements. I cannot, for...
  15. SonOfGloin

See you later, not goodbye!

Dear lord, this is heart breaking. It's incredible how many lives he touched with his knowledge. From seasoned regulars here, to occasional lurkers. Rest in peace, Terry.
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks