Recent content by smithx3

1. S

Installing attic ladder - joists are overlapping

Thanks for all the replies. All of the joists above the garage are overlapping exactly the same way. They are all 2x4 joists; the overlap is about 3 feet. Unfortunately, due to the slope of the roof, the only place that the ladder can go is right where the joists are overlapping. I've...
  2. S

Installing attic ladder - joists are overlapping

We are installing an attic ladder above our garage. We need a rough opening of 22 1/2", but the ceiling joists are overlapping each other (side by side), so there is only 21" between the joists. Can we cut back part of one of the overlapping joist and add a sister joist to the other side? I...
  3. S

Electric box behind shower wall

I was wondering if anyone would notice something odd. . . You have a good eye, Old Dog! The bathtub is actually dropped into the floor; the lip of the tub is about 4" off of the ground, so that outlet is at normal height in the room next door. . .but if the tub were at normal height; yes that...
  4. S

Nail plates My husband just explained to me what the nail plates are for. . .and he says "now they all will know that you are a CHICK!" :o And I may as well fess up that he said the electrical box was fine how it was. . .I was just second-guessing him. My apologies to him and all you...
  5. S

Thanks for the advice! Ok, so I guess this isn't a big deal like I thought it might be; it just looked odd to see an electrical box behind a shower wall. . .but of course this is the first shower wall that I have ever opened up. Old Dog, you are correct, the horizontal wire is going to a box...
  6. S

We are replacing the tile and backerboard around our shower. . .when we pulled the old gypsum board down, we realized that the back side of the outlet in one of the bedrooms is right behind the shower wall. I figure we have 3 options: 1) leave it -- things were dry back there and will...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks