Recent content by Smhowell

1. Smhowell

Lighting The Brick Freestanding Fireplace

Thanks for the replies. I really appreciate the help! Sharon
  2. Smhowell

Just bought and installed the ceiling fan, and it has what I've been told is the "new standard" for fan light fixtures, which is two candelabra base A15 bulbs, which come in not more than 60 watts. Since the thing is unfortunately dimmable, CFLs won't work in it. (Since the thing has a remote, I...
  3. Smhowell

My issue is one of economics and safety. Halogens are supposed to save 20% energy over incandescents, but they run so hot that the heat offset during the summer cooling means that they actually use up much more energy than incandescents. And I saw how badly the heat burned and cracked the glass...
  4. Smhowell

The house that we're getting ready to move into has a working, brick veneered, freestanding fireplace in a room with a cathedral ceiling. There is a ceiling fan in the center of the room, and midway between the ceiling fan and the fireplace are three really ugly, 25-year-old white track lights...
  5. Smhowell

Grouting tile

If I understand you correctly, you would not grout this area, but use caulk.
  6. Smhowell

Can anyone figure this one out? PVC offset toilet flange in a slab.

Ok, I finally figured out that they put in the offset because they set the pipe two inches too far from the wall. I decided to let a plumber remove the offset flange, and while we were at it, I got him to extend the pipe below with a new pipe. Unfortunately, the original pipe was run at an...
  7. Smhowell

In line water filters/softners

We had the shower plumbed for an inline chlorine remover; I'd be very interested in recommendations on brands/types.
  8. Smhowell

How do I replace a closet flange?

What is the procedure for replacing a closet flange? The waste pipe is 3" pvc cast into a slab. I need to replace an offset with a straight.
  9. Smhowell

I've never posted a picture anywhere before... The bad news is, it is 3" pipe. How does this affect things?
  10. Smhowell

Uhmmm, no, and with any luck, he'll never find out. I was harsher on him than necessary...he has done sinks and new faucet installation and ro systems and lots of wonderful amateur work. But I'm learning where his weaknesses are, and that includes faucet repairs. Please keep in mind that I'm...
  11. Smhowell

Had a plumber come in and install the shower plumbing that dear hubby got wrong - twice. (I made him take out the compression fittings and Sharkbites did NOT hold pressure after my DH installed them. When I finally observed his technique, I could see why. Not that my dear hubby isn't absolutely...
  12. Smhowell

Please Help!

Talked to Plastic Oddities last Friday and got a new box of stuff Monday. The parts I really needed actually were much improved...I don't think I would have been too critical had I received them first. I've found an Oatey strainer that looks much nicer than the Plastic Oddities unit, and a...
  13. Smhowell

Sharkbite fittings?

Sorry for the hurry, and thanks all who helped with the compression fitting question. Has anyone had experience, good or bad, with Sharkbite fittings? They look almost foolproof. The salesman says they'll pass code within the walls, and we need to close up the walls tomorrow at the latest...
  14. Smhowell

Are compression fittings as good as soldering?

Sharktooth fittings? Thanks for the help. I talked him out of the compression fittings. He found these fittings at Home Depot called Sharkbite fittings. They look like they're almost foolproof, and the salesman says they're pass code for inside the walls. Any thoughts/experience with these?
  15. Smhowell

Are compression fittings as good as soldering?

My husband prefers to use compression fittings because they are easier, but are they as durable as soldered connections? These connections are going behind a tiled wall. Thanks in advance, Sharon
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks