Recent content by slantsixdan

1. slantsixdan

How to Drill Thru Stainless »and« Granite?

Well…yeah, I guess there's really no way around drilling the sink and the countertop separately. The more I think of it, the more that probably is actually easier than trying to do them both at once. Thanks for the guidance, everybody.
  2. slantsixdan

Like this or like this or like this. Wait a sec...how am I to line up the sink over the new granite hole, when there's not yet a hole in the SS sink to line up with the hole in the granite?
  3. slantsixdan

I need to drill a 1-3/8" hole through the deck of a stainless kitchen sink top-mounted on a granite countertop. I understand how to drill thru the deck of a stainless sink, and how to drill thru a granite countertop. But I need to do both at the same time, and I think that'll make problems. If I...
  4. slantsixdan

Old American-Standard Leaks Despite New Flush Valve Disc

Totally agree. This particular toilet is in a rental building and we don't pay the water bill or have say-so over when the toilets get replaced. I am of course dismayed at how much water this toilet uses per flush, but the building manager already put in a nice new fridge and other improvements...
  5. slantsixdan

Got the genuine piece. It is significantly different to the off-brand item. The A-S valve is made of a much more flexible, resilient rubber material with a much grippier surface, and has more taper to its conical portion. Even though the off-brand plate's leakdown had slowed substantially, it's...
  6. slantsixdan

Well, a fortnight's service seems to have formed the aftermarket disc to the valve seat; the toilet appears to have quit leaking down. Either that or the change might be in response to my having ordered a genuine A-S valve disc, which has not yet arrived.
  7. slantsixdan

Sorry, I should have been more specific: slight downward pressure on the handle after taking up the chain slack. Everything is assembled and positioned correctly.
  8. slantsixdan

New American Standard Optum Vormax toilet???

But wait, but no, but surely you can't be saying Consumer Reports issues recommendations with no basis in fact…! (this is me being very sarcastic; I had found my own experiences consistently different from theirs for years, then I had a 2nd-row seat for their BS process of deciding they're...
  9. slantsixdan

Subject pretty much says it all. The old flush valve disc was spongy and degraded (black slime all over my hands just for touching it) so I removed the flush controller assembly, inspected the seat (plastic—smooth, unbroken, unchipped), snapped a new rubber disc onto the flush controller...
  10. slantsixdan

Angled Crane Dial-Ese faucet mount lavatory sink repair?

Dial-Ese seats? Howdy, all. This old thread contains remarks about four different types of Dial-Ese seat being available. I'd like to see pics, can anyone show? Thanks.
  11. slantsixdan

Toto Guineveres Just Don't Work, Replace With Drake?

I should've asked a simpler, more direct question: Does the Drake have better bowl wash than the Guinevere? (point by point: Yes, the Guineveres have CEFIONTECT. No, those Drexels were overdue when they were replaced, and they flushed sluggishly. Their good bowl cleaning had more to do with...
  12. slantsixdan

Toto Guineveres Just Don't Work, Replace With Drake?

Arrrgh! In 2010 I replaced two Crane Drexel toilets from 1950, original equipment in my house, with two Toto Guineveres. The installation craftsmanship was top-notch (thanks, Terry & Co!) but the damn things just don't get the job done, by design. Bowl cleaning isn't just inadequate, it's...
  13. slantsixdan

Replace 1949 grey Crane toilet with...what?

Thanks much. There any hope of finding something even slightly stylistically appropriate?
  14. slantsixdan

Replace 1949 grey Crane toilet with...what?

Howdy, all. Can anyone point me at a good replacement for an original Crane toilet that's been in place since the house was built in '49-'50? It has begun to leak; I've turned off its supply valve but it has got to be long past due for replacement; its flush action is rather sluggish (sixty...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks