Recent content by Sid Post

1. Sid Post

Cold weather freeze protection?

This is probably a super simple question for many of you living North of me (South of I-30 in Texas), what do you use to keep your well house from freezing and busting pipe and tanks? Do you use some sort of temperature sensitive electrical outlet to turn on a heater? Do you use electrical...
  2. Sid Post

Long pipe run uphill from well to home

My advice living at a farmhouse I bought, is to skip the "two meter" approach for electrical power. I'm in the process of going from two to one meter as a $5~$6 electric bill plus $28 meter service cost is aggravating to say the least. Move the house meter to the "road" service pole and branch...
  3. Sid Post

Is a flow rate meter a good option for me? If so, which one?

Initially, I was going to use a switch tied to my pressure switch to dispense the chlorine. However, that wouldn't work with an IBC filled with rainwater and a separate pump. I guess I could always hand treat the IBC water though. I also would like to 'log' my household water use too.
  4. Sid Post

Yes, this water is going into my house. That's why I want to chlorinate it. The rainwater is coming off an open equipment shed so, my concern is that the birds that roost there will contaminate it. The well water is less of a concern but, I am concerned that chicken waste runoff could find...
  5. Sid Post

I have a chlorinator system headed my way with a contact tank. Is a flow rate meter a good idea to help me set the right chlorination level for my daily use versus contact tank capacity? My well is in an area with several commercial chicken producers and I will have a rainwater backup to my...
  6. Sid Post

Larger pipe from the well house to support the chlorine contact tanks?

Thanks! While my flow rates will be significantly less, this confirms what I was thinking.
  7. Sid Post

I will be running a filter (Clack Filter-Ag Plus Sediment Filter System) to catch larger debris so, PVC pipe, faucets, shower heads, etc. should be fairly free of build up. My water has very low iron so, that's not a big concern. My main concern is the large number of commercial chicken farms...
  8. Sid Post

This may be a crazy idea and thought but, what I was considering doing since I need to dig up and replace substandard wiring from the main panel to well pump and the water line to the house was to use larger diameter waterline. The well house will continue to be on 1 1/4" pipe (internally) from...
  9. Sid Post

Water filtration and safety - rainwater cistern

The first well went dry long ago. The second well was sulfur and iron (too shallow a well by the previous owner trying to save a buck). The current well is ~560' down (based on sketchy info) with a 1HP well pump doing ~5GPM and is in the very top of a good aquifer with very light iron and no...
  10. Sid Post

The shed 'catchment' right now drains into the pond in question. The problem is the rain goes over the spillway in Spring and Summer's are dry. Fall and Winter are generally not an issue either with natural rainfall. However, having a large store of rainwater during a dry Summer will help...
  11. Sid Post

And it won't have algae and other growth that has to be dealt with. Tilapia and Geese are good for algae and pond weeds but, Geese especially are nasty creatures.
  12. Sid Post

I don't water my 'lawn'. I'm in East Texas over 1000' from the county road behind trees and a hill so, the only one that sees my 'lawn' are myself, feral hogs, some cattle, and a dog. The 'front scenic pond' is not a water source for me and will never be so. If I don't put water into it over...
  13. Sid Post

In Tucson, Arizona I used reclaimed 'grey' water from the city. For a residential use like mine at the time, the amount of paperwork and bureaucracy involved was enormous. I had to protect my Xeriscape drip irrigation from people's pets and wild animals too. The annual certification required...
  14. Sid Post

A diverter pipe will get the vast majority of that before it hits the tank. I will also use those bird wire mats to reduce the fecal deposits. For biological safety probably UV light but, Chlorine is a possibility too.
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks