Recent content by shawnharper

1. shawnharper

"retainers" for breakers?

EXACTLY. Being told you're wrong is much easier to hear when you're being fed sugar at the same time.
  2. shawnharper

Update! So! I was able to convince him that it is not backfed. He told me over the phone that he thought that panel was being fed from that breaker, so he was way off. I had him out yesterday, and signed me off. 100%. Done with the final! Wife and I celebrated THAT more than...
  3. shawnharper

Ah ha!!!!!! THANK YOU gentlemen. It's clear to me now, what backfed is. Neither of my 2 main panels are backfed, and I think I understand well enough to convince the inspector now - I'll print this out just in case. Thanks!!! I'll let you know how it goes... -Shawn
  4. shawnharper

Looking here under "B" it sounds like what I have IS backfed. http://books.google.com/books?id=hot5A-muHWYC&pg=PA168&lpg=PA168&dq=408.16+f+%22back+fed%22+devices&source=web&ots=-ctsMSUJRy&sig=2dTDtnXp8OXZYiahPsDtbQeLq2A#PPA168,M1 I'm very confused.
  5. shawnharper

I still don't really understand backfeeding. Alectrician - Your question: "Does this 4x20A smaller panel have a main breaker or just lugs?" If I understand this right, it just has lugs. Meaning, there's no breaker in that panel that cuts off all 4 of the 4x20s. There's just the 4x20s in...
  6. shawnharper

Great info guys, but I'm afraid I actually am backfeeding (I don't really know the definition). The breaker he's saying needs to be retained leads to another small panel in the garage, that has 4x 20A breakers in it (for my tools). Having said this, does your previous statements still...
  7. shawnharper

Hope you guys can help me here, as the "pros" at the electrical distributor shop were stumped. At my final a couple weeks back, the inspector was darn fair. He found a few things to fix, and this is the last one... I have two "main" panels for the house, both of about the same size. One...
  8. shawnharper

Starting to replace the water main...

(oops - originally posted this on the wrong post - reposting here for completeness) Just wanted to close the loop on this one. I had the inspection at lunchtime today, and passed with flying colors. Actually, the inspector really didn't look at much. Just looked into the trench along most...
  9. shawnharper

Replacing the water main? Do I really have to?

Just wanted to close the loop on this one. I had the inspection at lunchtime today, and passed with flying colors. Actually, the inspector really didn't look at much. Just looked into the trench along most of the distance to see if I sis 1.5" the whole way. He didn't get any closer than...
  10. shawnharper

And now that I've discovered that the old line was galvanized, and not copper as I'd thought, I'm even more glad I did it. Really, pipe dope on PVC? Just never heard of that in my limited experience. No issues with the inspector on that one? Lastly, our water co only does 3/4" meters or...
  11. shawnharper

Well, after a long day, I'm done. Sort of. Just turned the water back on, after waiting 2.5 hours for the last PVC joint to cure, just in case. No PVC glue joint leaks! But, I have two small leaks at threaded joints. Maybe a drop every 10 seconds each. Hoping they self-plug by the...
  12. shawnharper

PVC is what the inspector recommended, so I'm going that route. While sure, I'd prefer copper, that $800 is way more than the $75 PVC will cost. Never used poly, and since I'm DIYing this, and PVC is what I know, PVC is it. The pipe coming into the meter is actually poly, so I guess that's ok...
  13. shawnharper

And I'm guessing ball valve shutoffs at each end? (house and meter) And that those should be brass, not PVC?
  14. shawnharper

Can anyone comment on whether or not the smaller middle picture I showed above is OK? It's PVC with what looks like a brass threaded insert inside. I'd think that'd fix the splitting issues. Re: the water meter. Our water company, if I wanted, would install the next size meter and replace...
  15. shawnharper

Terry - Can you expand on the quote: "A female threaded fitting is not allowed in plastic." Are you saying that my PVC fittings can't have any female threads, or vice versa? So, I can't use one of these? Would this be what I use instead? And I can use this...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks