Recent content by SH140

1. SH140

Shower tile sealer

It's been a few more days since last post, and last night I took the first shower. This morning the floor was dry. So maybe it just takes more than a couple days for sealant to dry and work properly. It seems that all is well now. Thanks for the input.
  2. SH140

Shower tile sealer

Just finished the walk-in shower tiling. It has 2"x2" rough-finish porcelain tile on floor, 12"x12" on walls. 2 days I sealed it with "Dupont ?" product. Yesterday after installing and testing the valve & shower head, I noticed that the water beaded-up on the walls, (almost like the walls were...
  3. SH140

No grout gap

After thinset dried on 2x2 porcelain floor tile, I noticed 3 tiles had little to no gap for grout. Does anyone know of any inexpensive tools (this will probably be a one time use for this tool) that will work for widening the gap. Something I can use with my drill would be best as the gaps in...
  4. SH140

Building-up an existing shower curb

I recently installed a pre-formed shower pan and curb from Laticrete. It's made of some sort of dense foam. The whole thing is coated with HydroBan. After installation, I see that I would prefer that it be higher than 1 1/2" on the inside. Before I tile that area, is there a method to raise...
  5. SH140

Plywood thickness under tile

Thanks for the info. I think I'll be OK with the deflection. I have 9" joists, 14" O.C., with a span of about 10'. I'll be using Laticrete thinsets, with Ditra also. As far as the floor flatness issue, can any of it be compensated for with thinset thickness at tile install?
  6. SH140

Water pressure vs. volume

Thanks for the info
  7. SH140

Plywood thickness under tile

After reading a bunch of posts on this subject, 1 1/4" thickness seems to be the minimum thickness recommended, (usually 3/4" plus 1/2"). There is already 5/8" plywood underlayment, can I add another 5/8" sheet and have enough strength for tile? I also had about 1/4" to 1/3" out of flat...
  8. SH140

Water pressure vs. volume

How does pipe size affect pressure & volume? If you have 3/4" copper piping, with a section of 1/2" somewhere in the line, what effect will that have? (compared to a 100% 3/4" line)? If you're remodeling and can't completely replace all the 1/2" piping in a circuit with 3/4", is it worth the...
  9. SH140

Tub/shower pics

Here's a few more of the finished project
  10. SH140

Tub/shower pics

You'd think that being so close to the end of the project I'd run out of questions, but here's another..............I'll be tiling the vanity top, can I use 3/4" Birch interior plywood for the top under the tile? If so, should I put a coat of paint on it first? Or maybe HydroBan? I have a roll...
  11. SH140

Tub/shower pics

Soon I will caulk with silicone around the tub between the tub and bottom row of tile. My wife asked me if I was going to fill tub with water before I caulked. I don't think it's necessary because tub is set in a bed of mortar/concrete, but figured I'd ask beforehand just to be sure. What do you...
  12. SH140

Tub/shower pics

Thanks Terry, and thanks for the advice along the way. Is it necessary to fill tub with water before caulking gap between tub and bottom row of tile if tub is set in a mortar/cement bed?
  13. SH140

Tub/shower pics

After dozens of questions to this group, I finally got this project to the point where I can post some pictures. Still not fully completed, but getting there.
  14. SH140

Epoxy floats

I'm not sure exactly what you're asking, or how to answer it, but here goes. I used a 1/4 x 1/4 trowel with 1/8" grout lines. I can't really say much about if I got the area coverage stated on the package, because I didn't measure anything, just guess-timated it. But the thinset process seemed...
  15. SH140

Epoxy floats

his weekend I finally got to the grouting stage. I have about 75 sq. ft. of tile to grout (1/8" spacing) I bought 2 mini buckets of SpectraLock grout. According to Laticrete, each bucket should do about 40 sq. ft. Problem is, I only got roughly 65% grouted before I ran out. I know I...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks