Recent content by Sean35

1. Sean35

Shower base -- this doesn't look right

Somehow I managed to walk past it 500 times in the past week without noticing, but the lav (or, former lav, as I gave it away last week) has an s-trap, so I have to address that now too. That pipe wasn't attached to anything either, there was just a rubber gasket holding it in place. Also...
  2. Sean35

I figured as much. It was just one of those things where I started grabbing anything I thought I might have use for, and it was like "well, this piece fits in that piece", so in the cart it went.
  3. Sean35

Thanks. I'm guessing that the 4" drain for the shower is probably overkill, at least based on what I saw on the camera when I started pouring water in it. I'm still wrapping my brain around the codes in Ohio, but I think that both the kitchen drain and the first floor bathtub arent compliant...
  4. Sean35

A camera like that might be on the agenda, but right now I rigged up something that should be usable for the time being. I have an old analog security camera that is only about an inch in diameter, so I wrapped the cable in some insulation hose, but I only had about 5-6 feet worth. I bought...
  5. Sean35

TBD on the venting. I wasn't able to do any more digging today, but it appears that just beyond what is visible in the previous pictures is a downward bend. It is possible that the clay pipe has a p-trap, and the CI one was just redundant and/or used to center the shower drain?
  6. Sean35

Heh, that was actually going to be my next two questions, if I should check things out with a camera and how to connect to the clay pipe. I was going to explore a donut first, but that's off the table now as the hub is gone. I cracked it when I was cutting the elbow off with an angle grinder...
  7. Sean35

OK, I ran an upstairs sink and listened in, and can definitely hear water running. "Drain that leads to nowhere" was one of my nightmare scenarios even before you brought it up. Also, to add to the age/use history of the shower, the shower door was made by a Modern Shower Door Co. in...
  8. Sean35

Got it. If the drain ends up leading to nowhere, the shower will just end up being a closet because I don't want to deal with the asbestos abatement that would come with digging up the basement. FWIW, when I said I had no reason to believe that the shower was really used, it was more along the...
  9. Sean35

Are you speaking in generalities, or do you mean my specific situation? I'll try that tomorrow though.
  10. Sean35

The edges were expanded a bit, mostly to remove the p-trap, which of course came out by hand. The pipes are clay, which I wasn't aware of until I accidentally broke off a big chunk with the rotary hammer. I kept breaking until I got to the elbow. Hopefully I'm not describing this poorly, but...
  11. Sean35

Stopping for the moment because I don't know what I'm looking at, but I'm assuming this makes more sense now?
  12. Sean35

I had some time at lunch to work at it at bit more: I tend to struggle at grasping physics at times, but I don't understand how the drain opening was able to be covered with concrete. Applied very slowly I guess?
  13. Sean35

EDIT: meant to say shower base, no idea why I typed bed. Hi all -- so I'm a novice, but I'm trying to learn everything I can so that I can do things right the first time, so please excuse anything I say that may sound stupid. Story: House built in the 50s, purchased in 2013. The basement has...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks