Recent content by SailorMan

1. SailorMan

Residential Fire Sprinkler: Bad Leak

I've completed this fix. HERE'S WHAT THE PROBLEM WAS: A hairline crack had developed in the Brass Insert in the Sprinkler Head Adapter. If you look carefully at the original photo I posted, you can see this crack on the left hand side (at the "9-o'clock" position). There are two...
  2. SailorMan

Residential Fire Sprinkler: Bad Leak

I've got an emergency leak problem with the residential fire sprinkler system in my house (Dupont,WA). The leak is coming from the fitting that the sprinkler head screws into (I removed the sprinkler head, replaced it with a capped nipple and I can see where the water is coming from). I've...
  3. SailorMan

Showerhead flow restrictor mayhem

Well if you can specifically name a single one, I will take a look at it. I have checked many and they all force the water through these tiny 3/16" holes. I'm getting tired of returning them to the dealer.
  4. SailorMan

I can connect the same shower head directly to the 1/2" pipe from the wall and then run it through any of these diverters and the difference is very obvious.
  5. SailorMan

I have been trying to convert my single showerhead to include a 3-way diverter to accommodate a handheld showerhead. Here's what I have observed: There are many "3-way water diverters" available for anywhere from $15 to about $50 and up to divert water to one or both showerheads. But due to...
  6. SailorMan

Residential Fire Sprinkler system (air okay?)

Thanks Wayne. That article was a very helpful starting point. The discussion about insulation helped me to understand the way the pipes in my house are insulated. There's a sheet of fiberglass bat insulation about 16" wide directly over the pipes and then there is loose fill insulation over...
  7. SailorMan

Final Answer: Based on statements made by a neighbor who's lived here much longer than I have, I was assuming that the fire sprinkler system in the attic was dedicated or separate from the normal residential plumbing pipes. I had nothing else to go by. But yesterday I finally connected with...
  8. SailorMan

Yes, correct, it is CPVC actually. I haven't actually purchased the replacement sensor but it is available for sale openly.
  9. SailorMan

@Jeff: Approximately ten or fifteen years after the homes were built there was a period of almost a week when the temperature went down to about seven degrees. The original system used copper pipes in the attic and they were not protected from the cold in the attic. The pipes froze, burst...
  10. SailorMan

The PVC Fire Sprinkler pipes in the ceiling are all covered with a thick layer of loose fill insulation 12" to 18" high. I have dug through it in what looks to be the farthest point and I do not find a test valve. I'm beginning to think that perhaps it doesn't matter if air pockets are trapped...
  11. SailorMan

@Wayne: That valve is very interesting but no, it's not an option in this case. It certainly would be the way to go for new construction however. The simple way to solve my problem is by replacing the old low-pressure switch (which was never designed for residential fire sprinkler systems to...
  12. SailorMan

Hello All, I have a question about a residential fire sprinkler system. I live in a 25-year-old tract of homes with residential fire sprinkler systems. Ten days ago, the pressure sensor switch on my neighbor's fire sprinkler system failed. The rubber diaphragm in the unit leaked badly...
  13. SailorMan

Toilet advice needed

Okay so in consideration of the reasons I gave above for why I really like the Champion 4 that we already have ...and in consideration of the fact that it sells for $219 including a slow-close seat (and from my perspective there's not a thing wrong with it as-is), can anyone comment on why I...
  14. SailorMan

Toilet advice needed

I just realized that the existing toilet bowl does have a name on it so I attached a photo of the label together with a photo of the toilet bowl itself (and it's a 1.6gpf). Must have been some really cheap junk product because the splash out of the bowl was really bad. Actually the house was...
  15. SailorMan

Toilet advice needed

Hello everyone! I'm a new member to the forum here looking for toilet advice. I need to replace the (very low quality) toilet in our master bath. When we bought the house a year ago it was splashing very badly when flushed (I adjusted it but it's still bad - the home is about 20yrs old). At...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks