Recent content by Ryan Miehm

1. Ryan Miehm

Job pricing opinions

I’m looking for opinions on how some plumbers out there charge for jobs such as basement bathroom rough in’s, main floor rough in’s, etc. By the hour? Per fixture? Flat rate? I’m fairly new with my own business and looking for opinions
  2. Ryan Miehm

Plumbing in cold air return space between wall studs?

I came across a job where PEX water lines and 1 1/2” system 15 PVC drain/vent line was running in a cold air return for furnace in an industrial condo/warehouse unit (office space and warehouse space) that is only one floor. Is this allowed or no?
  3. Ryan Miehm

Shutting boilers down

Is it good to shut off the breaker for DHW boilers before shutting down the cold water supply in an apartment building? I’ve had a few cases where the boiler won’t fire back up after turning the water supply back on
  4. Ryan Miehm

Installing new laundry room and bathroom

What’s the best way to determine if the main drain at the front of the house is deep enough to allow for that 2% fall for the whole run?
  5. Ryan Miehm

Installing new laundry room and bathroom

Looking to install a new bathroom and laundry room in basement... what’s the best/easiest way to determine if there’s enough fall from the sanitary drain going out the foundation outside to the location of the new bathroom/laundry?
  6. Ryan Miehm

Wrong connection?

Seen this at a supplier... is using a wye to connect to vent not against code?... in Canada anyway
  7. Ryan Miehm

Laundry Rough in question

Yeah that’s code here, no clean outs required really other that on kitchen sink drains, and Santees on back for venting
  8. Ryan Miehm

Moving a kitchen sink

1.8 metres is the number you’re looking for, this is the max distance allowed from the trap to the vent connection.
  9. Ryan Miehm

One sink two drains.

Looks like the one will be for your drain, the other a clean out
  10. Ryan Miehm

The bottom 2” connection is from a 2nd laundry room in the attic (strange) I just don’t think the back vent on the standpipe line is necessary, it can be wet vented by the laundry sink which is the 1 1/2” connection above
  11. Ryan Miehm

Is there any need for the back vent on the 2” laundry standpipe drain in the photo attached? Would it not be wet vented by the laundry sink tied in above?
  12. Ryan Miehm

Leaking hot water heater help

So it’s normal for it only to leak out when the cold water supply valve is open?
  13. Ryan Miehm

Leaking hot water heater help

Hot water heater is leaking from panel that covers bottom thermostat/element. I figure it’s the tank that has blown. However it seems that when I shut the cold water valve off at the top of the tank, the leak stops. If it were the tank, would it not leak until all the water drains out of it?
  14. Ryan Miehm

Proper island sink drain hook up?

It was a shitty nylon gasket or whatever you call them I tried to re-use I had to get a new one for it!
  15. Ryan Miehm

Proper island sink drain hook up?

Wondering if this hookup is acceptable? The AAV is cut off at the top of the photo
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks