Recent content by Russell Harris

1. Russell Harris

Made mistake - plumber's putty on ABS tub drain threads - fix advice

It actually is ABS which I later found in the manufacturer cut sheet but it wasn't listed in the install instructions. It kinda sucks that American Standard has this 'deep soak' overflow option and it's a nice looking drain cover but they only sell it in a slip joint style...
  2. Russell Harris

Made mistake - plumber's putty on ABS tub drain threads - fix advice

So back in July last year (2022) I installed an American Standard deep soak bath drain. I was in a hurry as we were trying to get walls closed up in the baths. I now realize that the drain assembly was ABS. Don't know why I thought it wasn't as it was black. Anyway I used the Stain-Free Oatey...
  3. Russell Harris

Opinion on shower pan build

The fiberglass pans are very popular here in TX. So they are going to come out Friday and use some quickset to build-up the divot area in front and then another fiberglass layer on top of that.
  4. Russell Harris

Well luckily, the overall pan has fall from the back to the drain (former tub space) it's just that last bit in front with the divot that they need to build up to make it to the drain. Not sure why they didn't do that during the redo.
  5. Russell Harris

I've got the boss man now coming out to look at the work. Everyone seems to know the slope rules but they have one crew do mortar and another crew do fiberglass. None of them technically plumbers. I'll push for resolution tomorrow. Thanks for the advice! RH
  6. Russell Harris

The next step is the tile guy and his mortar bed which will be over the whole pan. It'll follow the slope and he'll fit in the linear drain. So the fiberglass is the blue line in the example below. R
  7. Russell Harris

Hello, Looking for some opinions on my re-done shower pan. I had a custom fiberglass shower pan installed last week and the initial pan had a pinhole and failed the water test. Water seeped under the fiberglass. So the installer cut out the bottom of the pan, dried out the mortar base and then...
  8. Russell Harris

Nick in threads, would you use it?

thanks, I installed no problem! Appreciate the help! R
  9. Russell Harris

Nick in threads, would you use it?

Hello, wanted to get the group advice on this brass Flashshield+ 1/2" fitting. There's two small nicks I just noticed in the next to last two male threads. I'll be attaching it to a black iron tee 1/2" . Are these nicks anything to worry about? I usually use 4/5 wraps of Blue monster tape and a...
  10. Russell Harris

Tub/shower to Shower conversion - before I dig

Ok, I'm back! Took a while to get to the digging. Plus, this asphalt/roofing tar has been a bear to get through. Anyway, I've exposed what I guess is the top of the P trap and also the main line which is really close to the left of the P trap. They used lots of wye fittings in this install ( I...
  11. Russell Harris

Conditioned space conduit for main water line in attic?

Ok, I don't know if this is classic overthinking but I've got an idea. Here's the background/problem. I'm re-piping an 80s ranch in Central TX and using Uponor throughout. Attic is now the pathway. The house will have a conditioned space attic, so foam on all the under roof decking and gables...
  12. Russell Harris

Thanks everyone for the questions and advice. I'm laughing at that 'show us your bottom' request :p Here's more info and a question regarding Terry's reply. First pics of the pan bottom. I did look at the installation instructions and it mentions having at least a 6" diameter hole around the...
  13. Russell Harris

Hello, a few questions and some advice on this tub/shower to shower conversion. I'm installing a Woodbridge (Home Depot) pan with a linear drain. I'll have only one shower head and it will be low flow. The pan is a 36" wide so the drain is offset (roughly red circle in photo) a bit from existing...
  14. Russell Harris

Moving toilet - tie in and vent - before I cut the slab

Another follow on question on this same vent change. On the upper horizontal section that is above the window, I need to put it above the ceiling on the top plate so I can maximize my window placement and still have a header. However up in the top plate area, I have a rafter/joist connection...
  15. Russell Harris

Moving toilet - tie in and vent - before I cut the slab

Thanks again Wayne. One last venting question I forgot to ask. On the main bath vent, I'm wanting to put in a window that would require jogging the vent line around it. Am I allowed to have up to 4 - 90 degree bend to get around the window? Moving the location in the roof isn't an option...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks