Recent content by rudytheplbr

1. rudytheplbr

Hot Water for a very small house

Hot water You could use a 110 volt on-demand w.h. and a really small shwr head.
  2. rudytheplbr

Seperate Hard Water Line?

To soften or not When I was younger and in Idaho, we'd rough-in a "softerner loop: leaving the outside faucets, K.S. cold water off the loop. We'd put a bypass setup in just before the water heater, in the utiity area. that way everything (softerner, w.h., washer and dryer ) would all be in...
  3. rudytheplbr

Laundry drain over flowing

W.M. drain Dear Dave, After another look I would cut away all that goop around the hub of the joint of the w.m. tee and cut just enough I could get a no-hub coupling on the existing pipe. Then break the hub of the w.m. tee and the thread hub and pull away the pcs. Get a 3x2 No-hub tee, two 3"...
  4. rudytheplbr

Laundry drain over flowing

Slow W.M. drain From the pic U posted the w.m. drain looks like it's galv. and 1-1/2" dia. The galv. may be corroded inside from all the laundry detergent thru it over the years. If you have a new washer, the washer pump may be overcoming the ability of even clean 1-1/2" galv. to drain. I...
  5. rudytheplbr

Pipe burst - flooded our finished basement - need advice

Broken Hydrant Why not just cut the pipe between the valve and the hydrant, get a pc of copper the same length and join it back together w/ a talon type fitting? That way, you don' t need to learn to solder. Have a plumber in the shop join your pipe to a new hydrant install it and join it...
  6. rudytheplbr

Some Major Kitchen Sink Issues

Re: Kitchen Sink drrain If your house is 60 yo I would seriously consider replacing your K.S. drain, with ABS OR PVC DWV pipe and fittings. Cut out all the old galvy pipe, from the top of the receptor tee in the wall behind the sink, to a short stub on the main drain. Clean out the remaining...
  7. rudytheplbr

Copper DWV pipe

Copper DWV I started my plumbing apprenticeship (lo many yars ago) when we were still using cast iron and copper DWV, and I stil think its the best for Waste systems installation. Also, I am considered a copper DWV mechanic.
  8. rudytheplbr

soldering brass pipe

Electrical Connection Any electrical connection MUST BE MECHANICALY TIGHT!!!! Solder does NOT repeat NOT make the connection, it merely keeps the solid connection from falling apart. What makes an electrical connection is the mechanics of the joint. In order to make a solid electrical...
  9. rudytheplbr

Waterproof gate valve

Water Proof Gate Valve Well if it doesn't leak from the inside, it won't leak from the outside. That said, no way would I use a 'gate' valve. Gate Valves tend to leak through the gate in the valve after time of use, the gate causes turbulence, which wears down the gate, and when you shut the...
  10. rudytheplbr

Compression Fitting Weeping Solution

Do it all the time I do that alll the time, and I love it. What happens is, when you'r tightnening the nut and ferrule, the friction of turning against the ferrule will weld on to the other. T-tape povides lube to the joint and ergo no leak. Have fun,:cool::cool:
  11. rudytheplbr

Angle stop valves for bathroom sink

Did you Know Did you no that there is a new style fixture shut-off valve. Its copper tube sized and you just push it on to the 1/2" supply tube. Looks neat and I beleive it's Talon that makes them. Good Luck,:):)
  12. rudytheplbr

Cracked Flange/Pipe Repair Options

Cracked Toilet Flange One more possible solution: cut the flange at floor level (even with the floor), get a stainless ring closet flange, take the ring off the unit, place and screw the ring to the floor, use 5/16" closet bolts and a horned wax ring for seal, tighten down until the bowl...
  13. rudytheplbr

Heat loop at water heater, other ? too

Water heater conns. The connections to a water heater/storage tank are always thread connections (unless you have a copper tank w/solder conns). The only thing you may need to solder is a male adapter on your cold water supply, and one on the hot water dist. line. I reccomend using brass...
  14. rudytheplbr

Wife want more hot water!

Water Heater Size If you're using electricity to heat your water. you may be money ahead to install an "on demand" w.h. There are several different Co.'s making them, but the Co. advertised by Paul Harvey may be the best. Good luck, Rudy
  15. rudytheplbr

siphoning

Why venting is important This reads to me that you need a relief vent between the fixture that is causing your problem, and the siphoned fixture. A vent will add air to your drainage system and prevent any other fixture traps from being siphoned. Good Luck, Rudy
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks