Recent content by Ross Hunt

1. Ross Hunt

copper strapping hangers touching aluminum ducts

I am in the process of sealing my heating ducts with mastic. The aluminum (I assume) ducts are suspended in my crawl space with copper hangers. Before I removed the old fiberglass insulation, those copper hangers were separated from the metal ducts by the insulation. Now the copper hangers are...
  2. Ross Hunt

Mortar bed for a Swanstone shower pan

The instructions for the Swanstone 48 x 34 shower pan that I am installing, recommend pressing the pan into a 1/2 " thick bed of mortar. I tried that but ended up with the pan being high centered so that when you pressed on the outer edges it rocked a little. I think that this happened because...
  3. Ross Hunt

damp threaded joint

I connected a hose bib to some copper pipe via a female adapter. I was preparing to close the wall when I noticed that the bottom of the threaded joint is just very slightly damp. I have been monitoring it for several days now and there is no drip formation but the slight dampness continues...
  4. Ross Hunt

Flushing a Moen Posi-Temp valve

I am remodeling two bathrooms in my house. I just installed a Moen posi-temp (with stops) valve in one of them. The installation instructions recommended removing the cartridge and flushing the valve before running water with the cartridge installed. Even though I had the stop tube in place...
  5. Ross Hunt

Replacing water service to house

There is a shut off valve at the street on the street side of the meter. I was barely aware of the ground key until I started to dig the trench. I am not sure that ground key valve is required, especially now that I have installed a valve inside the crawl space. I am guessing that my...
  6. Ross Hunt

Replacing water service to house

I found out last week that I have a leak somewhere between our house and the meter at the street when the meter reader left a notice that we had consumed about 5 times more water than usual. After making arrangements to have it fixed by a plumber and subsequently finding out that his "backhoe...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks