Recent content by rick52768

1. rick52768

Sump pump replacement questions

For those DIY folks, lots of basins have drainage holes built in them. I did not find any answers or get any help as to softening the plumbing joint compound. I decided to replace the check valve as it was as old as the sump pump, it may have caused the pump to wear out and breaking it loose...
  2. rick52768

Sump pump replacement questions

Evening All, I am helping a friend that has a sump pump that is no longer pumping. It works great as a heater, keeping the sump basin water temp around 120 degrees. It hums, the float stays engaged. Simple enough, it needs to be replaced. My questions revolve around two areas which I have no...
  3. rick52768

Black algae everywhere

Hard to believe that my house has good pressure or flow. I can sometimes feel it drop while in the shower and nothing else in the house is running. Seems like my neighbors can cause the drop, is that possible? I now understand what you mean as to the pressure test on the horizontal line...
  4. rick52768

Black algae everywhere

From the bucket test one tub is about 10.9 GPM and the other is 13 GPM. Hard to believe the one is that high, but a good guess of 10 GPM sounds pretty good. If I read you correctly, the pressure measured is the line and not the fixture with the adapter and psi gauge? My two outside water...
  5. rick52768

Black algae everywhere

Never been very happy with the water pressure in the house. From memory the filter did not make it any worst, but I will do some testing today without and see what I get. I have some water gauges rated in psi, but do not have adapters to test at the faucets or tubs. I think the timed bucket...
  6. rick52768

Black algae everywhere

I will likely go the second route as getting my refrigerator out to turn off its water supply for the whole house flush would not be possible right now. Would like to pick something with a low micron filtering (5 or less), but still has a good flow rate. The question would be how to pick a...
  7. rick52768

Black algae everywhere

I think that could be the issue. Model of the cartridge is 3WH-STDCW-F02 "reduces chlorine taste and odor". Looks likes I will need to up my cost to get a decent micron filter for the really bad stuff without help from carbon and learn to enjoy the taste and smell of pool water in my drinking...
  8. rick52768

Black algae everywhere

After much research, my thought is to call it black algae and I could be wrong. It will not be the first time. If is was just settling I would think it would be at the bottom of areas and cracks mostly. Mainly seems to be at places that has both water and air much like mold. Never known mold...
  9. rick52768

Black algae everywhere

I know unwanted things can grow in places you do not want from time to time, but I am wondering why do I have the problem in my "new" home, compared to my own. I fight black algae on my faucets, water dispenser of my refrigerator and now my dishwasher. It is not mold, just algae, but not the...
  10. rick52768

Venting laundry drain

Nor would I want to use the standpipe for the washer as a vent for the floor drain. I think between the heat pumps (water heater and HVAC) that it should be okay as to keeping the floor drain wet or sealed. This bring up the a question I was wondering about unused standpipes. Is there a way...
  11. rick52768

Venting laundry drain

That makes sense now that you point it out. Otherwise the water from the washer would interfere with the vent for the floor drain. I am guessing that the bypass vent would also need to vent above the tallest standpipe which in this case is the washer?
  12. rick52768

Venting laundry drain

I have a similar question, but I want to see if I am reading this post correctly. Is the picture grahamW posted correct as it is shown (minus his want to omit the bypass vent)? In my situation the "floor drain" would be below the vent pipe entry point of the washer drain. See my attached...
  13. rick52768

Tank leaking from top and related problems

Wow, looks like there are many things wrong with this picture. Tape that is peeling from the draft diverter, no pipe on the pressure relief valve, leakage due to corroding connections of the water lines and what looks to be a corroding shut off valve. There could be more that is wrong, but you...
  14. rick52768

I will report my temperature readings when I have the system back online. I may try to listen for flow at the valves tomorrow as the water heater will be delivered Tuesday. It was and likely still is code where I live to have CPVC that close to the tank on a electric water heater. Here is...
  15. rick52768

Not sure what you meant, but I have water flowing from the pipe normally connected to the heated output of the water heater and is the source of hot water for the house. This pipe has been cut from the hot water heater and hangs from my ceiling. The supply for the water heater is cut as well...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks