Recent content by Richard S

1. Richard S

shower drain flange

I just installed the shower drain in the shower I'm rebuilding. It'll be a tiled floor (pre-slope, pan liner, mortar & tile). The lower flange of the shower drain lifts off the plywood ever so slightly (maybe a 1/32" of an inch) instead of sitting perfectly flat. As I can't screw the lower...
  2. Richard S

toilet leaking

Just thought I'd post a follow-up. I installed the Fluidmaster waxless ring & couldn't be happier. It's been a few days now & no leaks detected after multiple flushes. Terry's tip about putting the ring on the toilet first was definitely the way to go. Thanks again. Now that bathroom...
  3. Richard S

toilet leaking

Jim, In your sample size of 2, have you used a plunger yet with the Fluidmaster waxless ring? If so, did it break the seal? Thanks, Richard
  4. Richard S

toilet leaking

I pulled it & there appears to be nothing wrong with the toilet. so I figure the wax ring somehow failed. Which leads to the next set of questions. 1. As the toilet flange is slightly recessed in the floor, I think I should probably use a 2nd wax ring. A colleague mentioned that it won't...
  5. Richard S

toilet leaking

I'll be replacing the wax ring this week & I'll keep you posted. The toilet's not wobbly. I'll keep my fingers crossed that it's only the wax ring. Thanks, Richard
  6. Richard S

toilet leaking

I installed a Toto Ultramax toilet some months ago. It hasn't gotten much use yet as I've recently just finished the bathroom remodel. The toilet leaks when flushed, but never leaks otherwise. I've got a clear view from below & can see the water leaking when flushed, but never see a single...
  7. Richard S

q on rebuilding tub surround

Giblet, Thanks for getting back to me. I finally heard back on my other post & spoke with some people and I should be able to float the tile over the flange with no problem. The irony is that I may have to return the 3x3 tiles & buy the larger size due to a completely separate issue. But...
  8. Richard S

thanks, much appreciated.
  9. Richard S

Thanks for your reply. Strangely enough, I was at Lowe's on my lunch hour today. I didn't know to refer to the furring strips as wood lathe so I couldn't find that today. I'll go back tomorrow & get it. I'll need that on the wet wall. I did pick up those 1/8" cardboard strips which will...
  10. Richard S

pre-formed shower niches

Jimbo, Thanks for the reply. Have you used any of these products? The reason I'm asking is that I'm wondering if it's as easy to tile on the products as the manufacturers claim & also, if you feel that the quality of the products is up to the task as I'm worried about water leakage. I should...
  11. Richard S

pre-formed shower niches

I'm in the process of rebuilding my tub surround & will be using tile. I've been trying to find the best alternative to custom building a wall niche. I had previously found out about Recess-It which I didn't want to use as others had noted that the flange protrudes a bit out from the cbu & I...
  12. Richard S

This weekend I tore out my tub surround down to the studs, which thankfully was a lot easier than I feared. I've got some questions regarding preping it for 1/2" cbu - not all of them tile related. 1. Furring out the studs so the cbu lays flat over the lip of the tub flange. The furring will...
  13. Richard S

dumb thinset question

I'm finishing dry-fitting my cbu & will put it in place using thinset as per the manufacturers instructions in the next day or so. I'll be using a 1/4" square-notched trowel (other opinions appreciated). My question is should I work the thinset in between the expansion joints between the...
  14. Richard S

Copper pipe - pinhole leaks and green spots

similar events Just a few days ago, I discovered one section of copper pipe covered in green deposits. My entire house is plumbed in copper & this is the only section that this is occuring. It is also the only section that the HVAC guy capped off when they moved my hot water heater about 11...
  15. Richard S

replacing flange on copper pipe

hj, Even though the flange appears to be in good shape. It's still the original one installed 37 years ago. Would you recommend removing it anyway. Thanks.
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks