Recent content by renstyle

1. renstyle

Removing Lead/Oakum from cast iron - replacing tub/sink drain line - pics

I had to re-read your post earlier, 2" pipe... :(
  2. renstyle

Just got back to the house. I picked up both a 2"x2" and a 3"x2" Fernco donut to see which one may fit this hole, but one is too big, one is too small! It makes sense when you compare the donut to a actual 3" CI with a hub. The 3" donut is 3 5/8" in diameter, and I need something that is...
  3. renstyle

Whole-house filter install soon, planning the loop.

Looking to install a pair of whole-house filters in the near future, trying to get some background/tips. I have a 3/4" copper main line that runs up the wall in the basement from the meter. At the joists it branches to the rest of the house. I've got plenty of space to add a pair of filters...
  4. renstyle

Tie PEX into water pipes at water heater? Hows this look?

From another layman's POV, it seems fine. 3/4" PEX should handle the 50' distance without much issue. The only real *concern* I would have had was also the WH-PEX clearance, which at 3' you've accounted for (and then some). I too have heard that while CVPC is not to be run directly to the hot...
  5. renstyle

Sorry for the delay answering, the ID of the hub/spigot is almost exactly 3". The "inner hole" going into the stack doesn't look to be much more than 1.5" tops.
  6. renstyle

The bushing has held up pretty well in the 83 years since it was installed (I assume it came with the house new in 1919). Doesn't look nearly as imposing now... Initial cleaning of the hub: OK, now that the *fun* is past, I've got two questions: 1. how much more cleaning do I need to...
  7. renstyle

We're out Here's what I was able to get done last nite. Most of the time was setting up the bracing for the joist notch. Notched the joist: Finally hit some oakem! Kinda smells like axle grease w' creosote mixed in. the angle was *much nicer* to drill holes into the lead: The lead...
  8. renstyle

Now I know why you included that pic earlier, didn't notice the hub... Good to have a heads-up on that 'wisconsin', I thought it odd that the toilet drained 'upstream' from this tub/sink connection.
  9. renstyle

Makes me think that I should start the "vent" fund now so that when that lead bend finally needs to go the 'wisconsin' could be popped out too. If the lead bend did need to get replaced, would I be required to update the 'wisconsin' connection too? I'd lean towards no since it supports the...
  10. renstyle

It is a hub, the vent runs up inside the wall just behind the toilet. That's why I was considering popping out a portion of that joist just behind the ell. Removing the bathroom obviated the need for a large 2" steel vent that was running up thru a wall and across the kitchen ceiling. They...
  11. renstyle

I kinda figured something like a FIP. Would that fill enuf of the void that it could have been leaded in without any oakum behind? I'm really trying to baby this particular CI part due to the vent. Can't afford to do "the full monty" if things go south. Would you snap the whole piece...
  12. renstyle

It's still pretty tight at this point, that bottom pic kinda-sorta shows that the galv pipe is threaded into *something*, but I've no idea what it really looks like, or how far it goes in. I've got zero "pull out" movement, just 15-20 degrees if I try to pull down the "handle". I am working...
  13. renstyle

Hello all, This is my first post here, but I've been lurking for months now (you all rock btw). Apologies ahead of time for the novel, just trying to be thorough! Started "de-muddling" our 1919 foursquare, was duplexed in the past. They put a 2nd bathroom in the corner of the kitchen...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks