Recent content by Rafael

1. Rafael

What's the black gunk in my drain and how do I prevent it from forming?

Hey all, It's been 6 weeks since I flushed out my bathroom sink with baking soda and boiling water. That made everything shiny and the water flowed just fine. Now, it's got a bunch of black goo that looks a lot like grease on the drain and stopper. Any idea what causes this stuff and how I...
  2. Rafael

insulating my hotwater pipes

Did you intend to put links in your post? I'm very interested in preventing the kind of air movement you mention, but I don't see either of the examples you refer to.
  3. Rafael

Thanks to both of you for the quick replies. I'm such a newbie that I'm not even sure if the pipes I have are 1/2 inch or 3/4 inch (or both). Looking at the pictures, can anyone tell?
  4. Rafael

Hey all, My tankless water heater is in a crawl space that gets pretty cold during the winter (we're in San Francisco, so that means the 40s, but sometimes it can get into the 30s). Since they're pretty long, I thought it made sense to insulate them. I found what appear to be pretty good...
  5. Rafael

Kohler fills every 25 minutes -- is a bad flapper to blame?

OK, great. Thanks to everyone who took the time to respond. It's a real help to this plumbing newbie. If anyone has any thoughts on exactly what kind of flapper I should get, or any tutorials on how to remove it, that would be awesome.
  6. Rafael

OK, good to know. I don't see the model number stamped on the flapper itself. Do I just go to my hardware store and ask for Coastal Foundary flapper? Also, it's not clear to me exactly what gets removed and how. Does the styrofoam thing above the flapper come off and get replaced, too? Does...
  7. Rafael

A quick addition: I just did the food-coloring test, and yes, the dye is showing up in the toilet bowl.
  8. Rafael

Thanks for the response, SacCity. The sound I hear coming from the toilet is very similiar (although a little more muted) to what I hear when I gently push the handle down, so I'm pretty sure the problem is with the seal at the flapper valve. My concern is that the flapper seems fine, so I'm not...
  9. Rafael

Hey all, For the past few weeks, my Kohler toilet fills every 25 minutes or so, and stays on for about 15 seconds. I did some online searches, and the consensus seems to be that the problem is the result of a bad flapper. I turned off the shuttoff valve, and inspected the flapper, and it...
  10. Rafael

Recirculation pump questions -- Please help

My home is so small that there literally is no place to put a tank water heater. I'd like to try the test you describe with the gas meter. Do you know where I'd find step-by-step instructions to do that?
  11. Rafael

Thanks for the response, Thatguy. I'm a novice in these matters, so I'm having a little trouble figuring out what the upshot of your comments are. If I understand you correctly, you seem to be saying that 30 seconds is a long time for hot water to start coming out of the fixtures. Is that...
  12. Rafael

I've got a Noritz N-069M for my two bathroom home. It mostly works, but there are a few problems. Specifically, it takes about 30 seconds for hot water to come out of the farthest fixture. And as far as I can tell, the dishwasher and clothes waster don't get much, if any, hot water unless I turn...
  13. Rafael

Getting gas line reinstalled

Hey Everybody, I just learned that the tankless water heater in my home wasn't installed with a properly fitted gas line. The line is one-inch and probably travels about 50-60 feet to the closest gas appliance. In addition to the Noritz N-069, other gas appliances are a 4-burner stove and...
  14. Rafael

using tankless water heater with dishwasher and clothes washer

No one like that on http://noritz.com/homeowners/services/find_an_installer/ You don't have additional information, by any chance, do you? Also, it appears I don't have a dedicated gas line feeding into my Noritz WH. Does anyone know if a dedicated line is required?
  15. Rafael

using tankless water heater with dishwasher and clothes washer

Scott and Dana, Thanks again for taking the time. It means a lot. It's a small condo, so the tankless WH isn't very far from any of the faucets. It's in a crawl space in the attic, about 10-15 feet from the kitchen sink, although I have no idea if the pipes take an indirect route that may...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks