Recent content by protivakid

1. protivakid

Condensation in walls during winter creating mold farm

The corner is actually on the south/west side of the house. Maybe we get more wind there that hits it? There is a plastic barrier between the drywall and the studs but it's not very thick. It's a closet so I can easily open up this one section and re-do the drywall if needed, I just hope it's...
  2. protivakid

Condensation in walls during winter creating mold farm

I have an issue that I've noticed on one corner of my house but probably have elsewhere. My wife noticed some mold along the baseboard in one room's closet. I peeled back the board and saw some more mold. I started cutting the drywall and discovered that in the Massachusetts winter, condensation...
  3. protivakid

Possible to Extend direct vent?

Thanks again for the detailed reply. All great stuff for me to consider next year if my budget allows. Before it gets too cold to work outside though I wanted to address the smell situation if possible. It looks like they say to only use 3'-20' for the exhaust. This would rule out my idea of...
  4. protivakid

Thanks so much for taking the time to write a detailed post! Looked at the manual and I agree, they tell you to use the included vent system without giving any other options. Kind of implies that if you are cheap enough to get this boiler then use the cheap vent system as your only option. The...
  5. protivakid

Here's what it looks like inside. Yes the intake vent us underneath and doesn't show in the original pic above. The boiler is a PB WV-DV-03-WPCT and the burner is a Beckett 7505 which the oil guy said are cheap units.
  6. protivakid

I guess I have a boiler then as the home is forced hot water, no ductwork. As for the vent I'll pull the manual. It is just to the left of the bathroom window and even the next window down in the bedroom we can also smell it.
  7. protivakid

I apologize I should have been more clear. It's summer so our windows have been kept open most of the time and thus the smell creeping into the house. When they are closed we don't smell it at all. I thought a boiler & furnace were one in the same like basement & cellar but perhaps I am using...
  8. protivakid

The direct vent exhaust pipe was placed right near my bathroom window. Talking to the furnace guy he said he was pretty sure it was against MA code to begin with but I am not the original owner of the home so this wasn't my decision. Anyways each time the furnace kicks on the bathroom and...
  9. protivakid

Mass 8th Edition Base Code & Sole Plate

I take it this stuff is pretty toxic?
  10. protivakid

Got this done with PT wood but out of curiosity what is the "green" product?
  11. protivakid

Proper way to install flood lights

Out of curiosity I pulled an outdoor light fixture that was installed on my home when I got it that used one of these above brackets. Sure enough it was just a piece of NM coming in stripped, and attached with wire nuts to the light. They didn't even bother to attach the ground to the light...
  12. protivakid

Can anyone chime in on this?
  13. protivakid

Proper way to install flood lights

So I got this done but have a question. I see on a lot of houses they use those vinyl siding covers that allow you to mount a lamp or something flush to the side of the house but do they also use a box? The ones Home Depot sells seem to look like you just push the wire through and screw the lamp...
  14. protivakid

So to do this right what needs to be used? Just pressure treated 2x4's? Should I put an EPDM sill gasket under even the pressure treated wood or is that overkill? What does code say I can use to mount it to the concrete floor? Are Ramset Fastener Pins ok?
  15. protivakid

So while not requiring pressure treated you can't just use regular 2x4's correct?
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks