Recent content by pollymath

1. pollymath

Uphonor PEX Expansion Rings Getting in the Way of Shower Drywall at Elbows

I plumbed my shower with PEX Expansion fittings. I also used Uphonor PEX Expansion Drop-Ear Elbows for the Shower Outlet and Handshower Outlets. My tile guy requested the drop-ear elbows sit out far enough that the Kerdi-Schluter Membrane Gasket would surround the NPT fitting. Thus, if either...
  2. pollymath

2021 State of Cabinet Water Softeners

I've got a 20 year old US Water Hydro Quad traditional water softener with a huge brine tank. Our house isn't big (1550sqft), and we could always use more storage. Our mechanical closet is packed full of stuff, including a domestic water heater tank, a hydronic heating commercial water tank...
  3. pollymath

Hand Shower Elbow Placement - Now On Other Side of Jack/King Stud

Ok, so that raises the next question: Do these Delta MultiChoice 3-Position diverters really only leave you with the left side for the hand shower? My hand shower will be on the RIGHT which means I'll need to down around and under my diverter valve. Why can't they just make a piece that...
  4. pollymath

Hand Shower Elbow Placement - Now On Other Side of Jack/King Stud

Originally, I had planned by Hand Shower Elbow (Shaving/Cleaning Only) to be centered between a diverter and the corner, in line with my shower diverter valve at 48" from the floor. The shower head is on an opposite wall. The problem, is that because of my niche placement on the "dry side"...
  5. pollymath

New Hot Water Heater Height Impacting Venting

No. The Apollo is for space heating. 50gal, 65,000btu.
  6. pollymath

New Hot Water Heater Height Impacting Venting

I changed this post around as I decided that "yes, I will just go out and get a new hot water heater, and leave the complicated planning for a future date." Trouble is, my old 40gal hot water heater is 60" x 17.5" and it's already crowding the vent a bit. If I purchase a new 40gal "tall" it...
  7. pollymath

Keep PEX Tight to Drywall in Attic

I have two instances of places where some new PEX I've installed goes through my doubled up top plate. Unfortunately, when the PEX enters the attic space, it's sticks up a good amount, making it a challenge to insulate. I've heard that you want to minimize the amount of fittings exposed in...
  8. pollymath

Abandoning Old ABS Drains (But Not Permanently)

Thanks for the help all. I solvent welded the caps below the slab and will mark their location somehow on top.
  9. pollymath

Local Supply House Poo-Pooing Phoenix/HTP

I did hear back from J&B Sales in Phoenix. They weren't happy that their local retailers were talking shit on one of their favorite manufacturers. I do like the idea that the HTP Versa-Hydro has the indirect tank for both heating units directly attached to it.
  10. pollymath

Here's my thinking: If ever there was a problem, knowing where the old drains are would be advantageous. However, having the drains exposed (but capped/sealed with ABS solvent) exposes them to potential damage and movement. Even if flush with the floor surface and covered with tile. Also...
  11. pollymath

Anyone else? Should I use some sort of waterless trap seal? Or is the best practice just to cap them under the slab and be done with it?
  12. pollymath

10-4 I like the stamp idea, but any marking or layout plan will work too.
  13. pollymath

What is the minimum concrete thickness when you pour concrete over a newly installed drain pipe?

Yea many of those preformed pans are designed to span soft areas, or open slab trenches. I didnt' realize how many freaking homes built in the last 20 years never had the plumbing rough-ins covered up with cement. Talk about a spider/rat den? *shudders* It's funny, my bringing up this topic...
  14. pollymath

I relocated my shower drain to share a vent with my toilet, all moved across the room from the location of my old tub and shower. Slab on grade, 4" slab over cinders, with wire mesh and rebar and hydronic PEX lines in the slab. So I've got a 1.5" trap and a 2" trap with a 2" vent still open at...
  15. pollymath

What is the minimum concrete thickness when you pour concrete over a newly installed drain pipe?

Also, what's your impression of the Kohler Ballast? I'm eyeing that one in the 66x36 size.
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks