Recent content by PlumboutofNecessity

1. PlumboutofNecessity

Cut cast iron hub to transition to PVC

I ended up going through the agonizing labor of drilling out the cleanout. Although, it went better than expected, it is still a royal pain. It did consume two 1/4" drill bits. I also used a impact driver as a drill instead of a normal drill so that when it binds, it wouldn't twist my limbs and...
  2. PlumboutofNecessity

Cut cast iron hub to transition to PVC

Is it allowed (UPC) to cut the hub off of a cast iron connection to transition to PVC or are you only allowed to transition from cast iron pipe? The picture indicates the part I want to cut off (the clean out that is circles in red) and then extend that whole pipe out using a 4"-4" Fernco...
  3. PlumboutofNecessity

Studor vent underneath upstairs shower?

Thanks, Terry - what you said was exactly what I was hoping to hear. Regarding the comment above about integration into lavatory drainage. My only chance of doing that without busting into CI pipes would be to vent into that cutoff steel pipe (the old 1.5" drain for the tub that used to be...
  4. PlumboutofNecessity

Studor vent underneath upstairs shower?

Hello, I am installing a new drain for an upstairs shower. I'm not going to use the old 1.5" galvanized pipe (which is not vented properly anyway) and attaches to the CI soil/stack (home was built in the 60's). I have a 2" PVC drain pipe on the first floor that I'd like to have this new shower...
  5. PlumboutofNecessity

Similar to others... hot water from cold — kitchen only

In the morning if the heater was on in the night, the cold water is warm for some moments from my bathroom sink due to a register that leaks a little hot air under the cabinet where the sink is. Not that this is your problem, but can't hurt to touch the pipes under the sink with your hand before...
  6. PlumboutofNecessity

Removing Cast Iron stack from Styrene main drain

Just as another reference - advice on this forum led me to also pull apart a lead/oakum connection and it really was not that bad at all. The end result was exactly what I wanted. I found that kind of strange because a lot of research online indicated that "you should really avoid doing this...
  7. PlumboutofNecessity

Shower/tubs not vented - did they used to not care back in the 60s?

Right. I don't plan on fixing anything not broken. I have no issue with the CI. Although, the tubs both go from decent draining to slow draining always within a few weeks of snaking. I suspect the steel pipes leading up to the CI as the issue there - probably corroded and falling apart inside...
  8. PlumboutofNecessity

Looking at the picture, I see the lighting is real bad and it looks like a solid object. It is really a distinct p-trap - just can't tell from the picture. Here is a better angle.
  9. PlumboutofNecessity

This here is my point exactly. Those drop down after the traps - no vents before they drop. This didn't seem right to me. But again, I haven't had any problems so far except for slowness which, after snaking, becomes okay again for a while. After all, those pipes have been there for over 60...
  10. PlumboutofNecessity

These images show the plumbing for two back-to-back bathrooms. The waste stack curves and goes horizontal here and then continues to the roof before the two toilets branch off. I assume that the bathroom sinks drain into this second rise (and hopefully are vented) further up. Note the two tubs'...
  11. PlumboutofNecessity

How to tap new 2" washing machine drain into old steel pipe?

Just to come back and say thanks. Pulling out the iron was a pain, but far from the biggest hassle I've had to deal with. Now it is clean, the 2" laundry pipe goes in there nicely. The Donut is my hero. Thanks again.
  12. PlumboutofNecessity

What is this dripping pipe at the bottom of the soil stack?

Everyone's feedback is greatly appreciated. I will cut it (not going to risk any threading issues by removing it) and SharkBite plug it. I keep running into strange things like this that make no sense to me. Thanks again.
  13. PlumboutofNecessity

In the image, you can see it at the bottom. It sticks out of the stack a couple inches and then elbows down where it is open. City sewer. No issue with drainage (toilets/sinks upstairs seem fine). Toilets/sinks downstairs are also fine. But, as I said, whenever waste is flowing from above, a...
  14. PlumboutofNecessity

At the bottom of the soil stack right before it goes horizontal, there is a 3/4" copper pipe screwed into it that is angled downward. Whenever any water is draining from upstairs (toilet, sink, shower, etc.), a steady stream of water pours out of this thing and goes underneath the plastic...
  15. PlumboutofNecessity

How to tap new 2" washing machine drain into old steel pipe?

This is exactly what I will do. Your help is greatly appreciated!
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks