Recent content by Plumbob

1. Plumbob

My choices for washing machine drain...

I haven't found an air-gap "device" that fits a 1" washer drain hose. I'm thinking something that could be mounted to the wall or sink, and would look better than a home-made air gap setup. The only air gaps I've found are for softeners, for smaller tubing.
  2. Plumbob

My choices for washing machine drain...

I'm trying to make a drain decision before drywalling my laundry room walls. I currently have a standard top-loading washing machine, draining into the laundry tub sink, which drains into a 1-1/2" pipe (which connects to a 2" drain pipe below the concrete floor), but am planning to buy a...
  3. Plumbob

Leak on Stainless flex connection

Thanks guys, I don't mind changing out the flex. I seem to remember however that the stainless variety of flex could be rebent, unlike the coppers ones.
  4. Plumbob

Leak on Stainless flex connection

My water softener is connected to my copper piping with Falcon stainless flex connectors. One is starting to leak at the 3/4" threaded connection. What type of washer do I use to fix this? Is it a standard part? Thanks!
  5. Plumbob

ROMEX® to dryer outlet - insulated ground?

I think I understand now. BTW, the "junction box" is a small metal work-box attached to a beam in my utility room. All that's inside it is a splice (3 wire nuts) connecting two runs of 10/3. I'm not even sure why its there. Maybe the dryer was relocated years ago before I owned the house. I...
  6. Plumbob

Thanks. Yes, I want to do this in compliance with code, and if I read what you provided correctly, I think it says that if wiring to the junction box does not include a separate ground (true) that I can stay with 10/2 w/insulated ground if all those conditions apply (which I believe they do)...
  7. Plumbob

Proximity of washer & dryer outlets to washer valves & tub?

Thanks everyone. I bought a 3-pack of GFCI outlets so all the outlets in my unfinished laundry room will be GFCI, along with the washer outlet near the sink.
  8. Plumbob

I'm relocating my dryer outlet (3-prong), and am replacing the ROMEX® with a longer run (need about 3 more feet). Need to buy the right ROMEX®. The existing ROMEX® is 10/2 with insulated ground. Is having an insulated ground important? Seems that the 10/2 w/ground I saw at the store had a...
  9. Plumbob

Proximity of washer & dryer outlets to washer valves & tub?

How close can electrical outlets for washer (110v) and dryer (220v) be to the washer hookup valves? The laundry tub is nearby too... What are the electric outlet positioning requirements? Thanks.
  10. Plumbob

Water heater questions from a newbie

Does an expansion tank need to be close to the water heater? My WH is 30ft away from the meter. There's a good mounting spot near the meter. Which side of the water softener should the tank be mounted on?
  11. Plumbob

Pressure OK, but water volume low

Replacing the PRV... Hmmm... looks like a $200 part. I'll have to call around for a gasket, and then take it apart for a look. I saw mention of an expansion tank. Is that necessary? What difference would it make? In case it matters (mentioning here because I saw brief mention in another...
  12. Plumbob

The galvanized may indeed be restricted, but the water heater isn't preceded by any galvanized. Water flows from the Copper near the PVR, through a run of Pex to and from the water heater, and then connects to the galvanized. So, how do you "clear up" the galvanized pipe corrosion? Replacement...
  13. Plumbob

This isn't a new problem. I didn't even realize it could possibly be improved until that plumber commented about it. The house is old, built in 1914. Piping from meter to PVR, and about 4 ft beyond, is 3/4" copper. Beyond that its 1/2" galvanized. There are only two of us in the...
  14. Plumbob

Thanks. Will I need a gasket? If so, is that a Home Depot item or plumbing shop?
  15. Plumbob

When the washing machine is filling, the water flow at the kitchen sink and other faucets is pretty low. Is this normal? We have a Watts 135BM3 PRV near the water meter, no expansion tank. The pressure prior to the PRV is 120 lbs, and the pressure in the house is 65-75 lbs. A plumber (here for...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks