Recent content by pitteach

1. pitteach

Furnace will not light.

Success After multiple tries, the furnace is on. I'm still not sure what happened but after a bit of fidgeting, it fired up. The gas to the house had been shut off at the meter for a couple months, so maybe I had some air in the line. I disconnected the pressure switch hose at the blower and...
  2. pitteach

Furnace will not light.

OK, where can I check voltage at the gas valve? There are 3 leads to the valve (mv, mv/pv, and pv). Am I looking to get 24v across all of these leads? Can I assume that the pressure switch is ok since the ignitor is coming on?
  3. pitteach

Furnace will not light.

I have a Lennox 75k Btu 90+ furnace that will not light. (Approx 15 yrs old) This is the first attempt of the season. Here's what I've got: Turn on tstat and call for heat. Exhaust blower kicks on. After a few seconds, the intermittent ignitor starts firing. It keeps firing for almost a...
  4. pitteach

Pex vs copper. Which stands up better to cold?

I am re-plumbing a ground floor bathroom with 2 walls that are shared with the garage. I do need to run 1/2" h/c supplies through these walls and I am not sure if I should use pex or copper. The walls are 2 x 6 with fiberglass insulation. The supplies will be wrapped in foam jackets and foam...
  5. pitteach

Heil furnace blowing fuse on board

I just jumped the t-stat at the board with a new fuse and she fires right up. The t-stat wire is ancient so I will replace and check out the thermostat as well.
  6. pitteach

Heil furnace blowing fuse on board

I have a 5 yr old Heil forced air 75k btu, 92% furnace that is blowing the 5 amp fuse on the control board. There is a low humming sound coming from the board and the transformer is warm, but when I install a new fuse and throw on the power, it pops immediately. This happens wether or not the...
  7. pitteach

Mechanical Damper or not?

Thanks for the response. I was concerned that the damper may have been added to compensate for the loss of draft from the furnace. I guess that is not the case. The chimney stack is metal B-vent and I'm not sure of the size but it looks like it is larger than 6". I was considering the...
  8. pitteach

The damper is not part of the water heater. It is mounted in-line on the 3" portion of the flue just off the top of the heater. It is wired to the gas valve. I do not know why it is there, I inherited the heater with the house. I would prefer to eliminate it with the new heater.
  9. pitteach

I am replacing a 40 gal gas water heater. The current tank has a standing pilot that has a mechanical damper hooked up to the flue. The flue comes off the tank with 3" for about 2' and then opens up to the 4" metal stack that runs through a chase in the first floor, to the attic and out the...
  10. pitteach

furnace-no ignition

It was the pressure switch. All is well. Thanks for the responses.
  11. pitteach

furnace-no ignition

I have a Lennox G26Q3-75-1 that will not ignite. With a call for heat, the combustion blower runs contiuously and that's it. The igniter does not come on and I suspect that the gas valve is not opening. The blower motor operates on the fan only mode from the thermostat. The honeywell...
  12. pitteach

Oversized furnace?

Oversized furnace Thanks for the reply Dana. This is in fact a sealed combustion model with separate intake and exhaust lines. The previous "chimney" was a chase through the center of the house with a double wall pipe. I am replacing the hwt with a RUUD power vent system to eliminate the...
  13. pitteach

Oversized furnace?

I have an opportunity to purchase a brand new Heil 100k 92% 2 stage natural gas furnace for an unbeatable price. The house is in Buffalo, NY, 40 yrs old, 2 story, 1800sq ft plus a finished basement, new LOe 3 windows, 8-9 ft ceilings, marginal insulation in walls and attic. I know that a...
  14. pitteach

New bath- slow tub drain

fixed I switched out the Kohler brass waste and overflow with the Gerber 17ga unit. I put the two side by each and easily noticed that the shoe on the Gerber is about 50% larger than the Kohler. Standing water no more!
  15. pitteach

New bath- slow tub drain

I compared the drains on the 2 tubs and found that the Kohler extends about 2" down from the bottom of the tub while the Gerber extends almost 3". This could be just enough to slow things down. The Kohler just looks way more restrictive in how it's designed. Perhaps I'll swap drains to...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks