Recent content by Phil P.

1. Phil P.

Basement bath DWV check

thank you all for the feedback .. I've been back working on other parts of this project, but agree it's pretty easy to include a separate vent for the shower with the location of that wall. that's how I'll proceed. cheers!
  2. Phil P.

Basement bath DWV check

Greetings! I've appreciated the great advice from folks here over the years and I'm back for a quick check on my basement bathroom DWV plan. First pic is floor plan and where I'd trench, and second is my attempt at an ISO drawing. I'm in Virginia under IPC btw and this is a permitted project...
  3. Phil P.

Waste stack in garage

Thanks for the help everyone. Happy 4th weekend!
  4. Phil P.

Waste stack in garage

Hello plumbing pros :) I'm back with a bigger project and always appreciate your generous advice. First question is I'm adding a garage to my house with bedroom and bath above it. Most logical, simple way to route waste is down along inside garage wall and then connect to main drain. Garage...
  5. Phil P.

Basement floor drain rules

Thanks for the information folks! Yes it will be emergency/just in case floor drain. I'm well aware that trap water may evaporate and needs periodic refreshing .. I'll look into tap primer. Good week everyone! Phil
  6. Phil P.

Basement floor drain rules

Greetings all and happy 2022! I'm planning a basement renovation I want to include a floor drain in the utility room. I plan a 2" pvc pipe with a p-trap, and keep it within 8ft trap arm length max for venting. Is there any code requirement to have some sort of of system to keep trap from...
  7. Phil P.

Delta tub spout replacement?

Thanks gentlemen! That picture explains exactly what I need to do. I did look for a set screw or clip of some sort, but now I understand how to get it off. Cheers!
  8. Phil P.

Delta tub spout replacement?

Hello all .. I'm upgrading a bath including change from chrome to satin finishes. It's all pretty straightforward except for the tub spout. I presume it's a symmons since mixing valve is, but when I unthreaded it from wall I found this white plastic part left (which has larger diameter...
  9. Phil P.

Basement bath DWV review

Thanks much Terry, took me 3 tries to make it clear enough what I want to do. I'll use the 2" for the vent. Phil
  10. Phil P.

Basement bath DWV review

Good morning all .. I'm back to TL for a quick (hopefully) consult on replumbing a basement bathroom. Tore out an old 1950 bath and all the cast-iron involved. THAT is a good day's work and really makes me appreciate the craftsmanship (and muscle strength) of the plumbing trade in 1950...
  11. Phil P.

1st shower valve stem repair -- access question

Thank you Terry and HJ! I successfully replaced both valves stems in this shower today without any difficulty. using the screwdriver to chip away tile worked perfect -- provided just enough room and minimal destruction. with HJ's identification I simply googled around and found a rebuild kit...
  12. Phil P.

Thanks for the advice Terry -- I had planned on oscillating tool with abrasive blade but I bet your gentle chipping technique will be better and less messy. Of course there is a nice tiled bath tub surround on the reverse wall so peeking through drywall isn't an option in this case. I'll let...
  13. Phil P.

So I'm working on a shower that won't fully turn off (drips from shower head). It's original valve from 1970 home. I turned off water and carefully disassembled, but to be honest not sure what I have. I was able to unthread/remove valve from hot side, but it didn't seem to come all the way...
  14. Phil P.

100ft drain line to garage

So I spoke with our building inspector this week and he confirmed the usual way to do this around here is to install the pit and pump at the workshop and them pump it back 100 feet to the house and tie in to the drain line. So if this line is 24" down as it enters the crawlspace, is there any...
  15. Phil P.

100ft drain line to garage

Thanks for the prompt replies guys. Those links were helpful too. So I guess I need to get into the crawl space and dig on down to see how deep the line really is -- I guessed 36" but truly I'm not sure. Maybe if I find a clean out I can use some sort of dip-stick technique to figure it out...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks