Recent content by Pavesa

1. Pavesa

Cap off freezing pipe

Hi I posted this on Plumbing Code Questions - probably the wrong place - so reposting it here. I'd be grateful for any thoughts. I live in Nova Scotia in a house built around 1850 and over the years there's been a fair bit of barbarity committed in terms of doubtful building maintenance and...
  2. Pavesa

Close off freezing pipe

Hi I live in Nova Scotia in a house built around 1850 and over the years there's been a fair bit of barbarity committed in terms of building maintenance and installation. One endemic problem has been a copper pipe that freezes. I'm attaching some pictures of the arrangement. This pipe runs off...
  3. Pavesa

New Installation Upstairs

Hi reading through my post again, I think there's a bit of ambiguity about my concern about loss of pressure. Having the cold lose pressure is more dangerous because the shower runs hot but I think I avoid this by having the cold connected directly to the main. My concern is about the hot...
  4. Pavesa

New Installation Upstairs

Hi I live in an old house and I'm just finishing off installation of an upstairs bathroom, to date, there's been no water upstairs, everything is downstairs including the current bathroom, with water fed up from the basement. I've been able to connect the upstairs cold to a pipe that connects...
  5. Pavesa

Stopping Sweating Toilet

Hi thanks again for all the information. I think I'll just go with it as it is and leave the concept for someone else. The reason I suggested it is that downstairs the toilet is about 40 years old and in April/May the water runs off it!
  6. Pavesa

Stopping Sweating Toilet

Hi thanks for the thoughts on this. I'm using a Toto low flush toilet and also the extractor fan will be on the wall about 2' away from the tank so there will be good air flow and there won't be airflow particularly from the shower around the toilet either. Maybe I'm trying to be a bit...
  7. Pavesa

Stopping Sweating Toilet

Hi I'm in the process of installing a new shower room and toilet upstairs. At this time of year we get a lot of humidity and toilets sweat. I'm using pex pipe and I have an idea that for the toilet I could use a fairly long length (12'-15') and wrap it around the ABS sewer pipe to pick up...
  8. Pavesa

Novice installing new bathroom wanting suggestions on waste water pipes

Hi Plumb-Perfect thanks very much for your advice, I really appreciate all the help I have received here plus the documents that have been pointed out to me. This is going to be a very small bathroom 75" x 81" end even there, about 20% of the area is lost to a chimney. Still, I think it will...
  9. Pavesa

Hi Jim thanks for the posting and your advice. I had thought of going for an offset flange but with the offset in line with the outlet from the bottom of the toilet so everything would be in line so no lost momentum. Seems like that may not matter. Posting on this site has been really helpful...
  10. Pavesa

Hi Jim thanks for the advice and I certainly appreciate that plumbing isn't necessarily as straightforward as it might seem, that's why I posted on the forum to get some guidance. An interesting thing about this house is that it was previously owned by the guy who ran the water system where I...
  11. Pavesa

Hi wjcandee thanks for the links, looks a very useful set of documents for a beginner.. Pavesa
  12. Pavesa

Hi I have a 150 year old house in Nova Scotia that I bought 4 years ago and have been working on - previously pretty much untouched for 40 years! I should add that I'm fairly good at woodwork - helped my Dad with our boat as a kid - and have successfully done quite a lot around here including...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks