Recent content by Oliver

1. Oliver

Iron in the well water

Good question. I am in Colorado (western slop). All wells around here are used for irrigation. They contain a lot of iron. How much? I have to do lab tests. My well was just drilled. A sample in a jar was looking transparent, but after 2 days it became red. I am plannig to use (if...
  2. Oliver

Iron in the well water

Does anybody know how to filter it?? Thank You!
  3. Oliver

Pressure tank selection

I just finished the plumbing for my new house and passed the inspection. The next step is to select and install a pressure tank. I have a 1000 gal cistern on the top of the hill (about 30 feet higher than the house level). My question is what pump should I install to work with...
  4. Oliver

Presure test

Leaks Thanks guys The piping is copper and I will follow your advices today.
  5. Oliver

Presure test

I'm testing my water distribution piping at 30 psi air and I have 2 psi per hour drop. What would be a better (than soap solution) way to find the leak? Any Recipe will be greatly appreciated. l :)
  6. Oliver

Plumbing make up

I ran all necessary piping (PVC-drainage and Copper-water) in the wall and under the subfloor. Now the cosmetics in the bathroom - shiny pipes comming out of the walls, shiny stop valves and shiny covers around the pipes. I can't find any suitable stuff in HD. Any suggestion to what should I...
  7. Oliver

Is a super high efficiency boiler worth the inital cost?

I am considering Viessman for my new house. I went for training in their RI facility to get familiar with the boiler. I also went in NH to see Buderus. Both firms are German. Buderus was recently acquired by Bosh. Before that Buderus (not long time ago) purchased the maker (European) of...
  8. Oliver

Demand Water Heaters/ DWH/

My 2 cents The Europeans are miser people. They bath less often (especially french) and have their lights in the apartment buildings on timer. They drive small cars and and they activate their headlights after 9:30 PM. They earn 30% less than the americans, because they work less. They shop in...
  9. Oliver

Stop Valves

Is it an acceptable (UPC) practice to install only 2 stop valves (hot and cold) in the crawl space on the bathroom piping branch instead individual stop valves (toilet, shower etc...)?
  10. Oliver

Regarding this Message Board

Thanks The forum is a text book of case studies Thanks Terry.
  11. Oliver

GPM meter

Balancing the system based on the return temperature, as HJ suggested, is a very good approach. I found Wirsbo FLOW Master electronic readout (~$500) http://www.wirsbo.com/main.php?pm=1&mm=4&sm=6&pc=common/showroom/index.php&sroom=9) It reads flow and temperature, and in case of radiant...
  12. Oliver

GPM meter

Has anybody used flow meter to balance a hot water heating system. If so, what was the brand/model name. Appreciate.
  13. Oliver

Radiant Heating

I am planning to install PEX coils under the sub-floor and terminate them in different zone manifolds. The manifolds will be installed in the crawling space (one story house) little bit (say 14 inches) under the level of the coils. The question is: am I going to have problems purging the air...
  14. Oliver

Bends in horizontal drain line

After 135 degrees of bends you need to install a clean out (UPCode)
  15. Oliver

proper way to solder

New pre-soldered fittings I worked with pre-soldered fittings today. Work like a charm. Just clean the pipes. Apply flux on the pipes only. Dry fit both pipes and start the flame. In no time you see the solder comming out and you are done. Tested at 100 psi. It works.
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks