Recent content by oldVermonter

1. oldVermonter

Concrete septic

I'm a little unclear...have you ever had it pumped? Non-digestible solids will build up over time, and need to be removed periodically (every 3 years is the typical recommendation). If the solids overflow into your leach area, they can clog and potentially ruin it, which could certainly cause...
  2. oldVermonter

Toilet flange problem

Breplum, Thank you for the quick response. Should I worry about the spacer flexing when I fasten it down? As I mentioned earlier, it doesn't sit flush on the metal flange. Just to make sure, this is the product I am talking about: Oatey Closet Flange Spacer If it was really the right way...
  3. oldVermonter

Toilet flange problem

First, thanks to everyone for the wonderful info you provide. I have learned so much from reading your discussions over the past few years. And thanks to Terry's family for keeping his legacy alive. Background: -I am replacing a 20-odd-years-old Kohler toilet (2F of a wood frame house) with a...
  4. oldVermonter

How to bury an empty septic tank?

Your current setup is polluting the ground (and possibly surface) water for a long ways downgradient. People in poor countries really do die from diseases they catch from water contaminated with untreated sewage. The reason you don't see it in the U.S. is that we use well-designed septic...
  5. oldVermonter

Why are my fittings leaking?!

Good point. Question: What kind of clamps did you use, and for how long? My installation was fine for a year or two, then the failures began.
  6. oldVermonter

I saw the picture. The problem is, the various solutions either: 1. Allow it to leak (hose clamps); or 2. Spontaneously detach at some future date (Apollo pinch clamps and Apollo Sprint); or 3. Aren't rated for continuous pressure (Orbit Blu-Lock).
  7. oldVermonter

The problem isn't the fitting. Brass or plastic, you still need a clamp to hold the hose to the fitting.
  8. oldVermonter

I do a lot of drip irrigation, and have been struggling with poly connectors for years. Here are a few options I have in use: Apollo makes a couple of products, see this PDF: https://apolloflow.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/04/2023-Apollo-MG-Catalog_website.pdf o Pinch clamps (p. 72). I've...
  9. oldVermonter

Leaving unused wye in main drain line

Wayne, thank you. For us ignorant-but-trying-to-learn people, when do you choose one or the other?
  10. oldVermonter

Need to replace one-piece fiberglass shower/tub unit

A couple of thoughts: 1) I'm a pretty capable DIY type. Last year, I replaced an old one-piece fiberglass unit (much like yours) with a Swan acrylic tub and surround. It went well, because I could take my time, and we had a second bathroom. This can be a really complex job, with -many-...
  11. oldVermonter

Backwashing a Manganese / Iron filter to septic

50-100 gallons is no big deal for a septic tank. Nor is softened or chlorinated water. Neither will cause any digestion problems. Precipitated - - but suspended - - backwash solids could hypothetically be an issue in your leach field if the quantity was large enough, though very unlikely I...
  12. oldVermonter

Rust under sink faucet handles

Something to consider…if the problem is only cosmetic, get a bottle of CLR (or other rust remover), and just clean it up every month or so. A real fix would certainly be better, but CLR might be a lot less work.
  13. oldVermonter

Leak under slab

I think it’s time to hire a pro, and pronto. This is potentially a really serious problem, and you need to resolve it ASAP.
  14. oldVermonter

Sillcock and Hose Bib Shut Off Problem

The first photo looks exactly like the frost-free hose bibbs on my house. I think that’s what you have.
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks