Recent content by NTL1991

1. NTL1991

3 Stacked Bathrooms, Toilet Bubbling When Flushed Above

Thanks guys. I can only assume that the 2nd and 3rd are vented that way, the walls are not open and there is no attic access. A is 1st floor toilet B is where lav and tub drain originally connected. I am almost certain the 2nd and 3rd floor bathrooms are still connected this way. This is an...
  2. NTL1991

3 Stacked Bathrooms, Toilet Bubbling When Flushed Above

Trying to get to the bottom of a drain issue and hopefully sort things out. First floor toilet bubbles (enough to wet the bottom of the toilet seat lid) when the third floor toilet is flushed. Flushing the 2nd floor toilet only causes some minor disturbance in the 1st floor bowl, similar to that...
  3. NTL1991

Spinning a Toilet 90* for Better Access & Pipe Layout

I’d imagine the vent from the kitchen, which is either 1-1/2” or 2”, and a good 25-30 linear feet down the line isn’t sufficient. Sounds like I’m stuck with this 100+ year old cast iron exterior vent for the time being.
  4. NTL1991

I’ve noticed that sanitary tee and a second on its back where the washing machine ties into the 4” main drain that starts at the toilet and wraps around the foundation, heading to the sewer at the front of the house. The sanitary tee has to go, in favor of a proper wye & 1/8 bend or combo. That...
  5. NTL1991

Hey guys. I’m looking to help my senior mom with her bathroom. The issue is access to the toilet; it’s directly opposite the bathtub and against a wall and it’s just too tight for her. I’d also like to get her a chair height, elongated toilet. It doesn’t help that the flange is roughed-in at 14”...
  6. NTL1991

Small Boiler + Indirect Water Heater = Bad News?

Thanks Dana. I didn’t get into all the details, but each apartment has an individual 40gal gas water heater. I’m looking at replacing all three with indirects, fired from each apartment’s CGA-25 boiler to eliminate 3 vented appliances from a taxed chimney. I wanted to make sure that the CGA-25...
  7. NTL1991

Resolving Draft Issues

There's a bit of a backstory here... Years ago my 3-family home (1948) had 1-pipe steam with a WM SGO-3 oil boiler and a 75 gallon NG water heater. Everything was separated for individual metering; plumbed the three apartments in PEX with baseboard heating loops, installed boilers and individual...
  8. NTL1991

Small Boiler + Indirect Water Heater = Bad News?

Can a small gas boiler (Weil McLain CGA-25, 52MBH Input, 38MBH Net) supply a 30-40 gallon indirect water heater with priority while maintaining space heating in a 1,000 sq foot apartment (2 bed, 1 bath)? I'm trying to reduce the number of vented appliances I have, so indirect heaters seem like...
  9. NTL1991

Best Near-Meter Piping Arrangement

Well I ran some more PEX lines and cleaned up the meter pit. Now I’m heading out to get some crushed stone to clean it up some more. Here you can see the wall (adjacent to the backer board for the ground wire) where I’d like to have the meter located to pipe the main up under the joists...
  10. NTL1991

Best Near-Meter Piping Arrangement

I'm in the planning process of replacing the original near-meter water piping. The main issues are a frozen, rusted ball valve upstream of the meter, and suspected leaky buried supply pipes downstream of the meter. What's the best arrangement for the near-meter pipes? I'm all about valves and...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks