Recent content by northman

1. northman

Gas Water Heater, intermittently cold

Update: This morning I checked the tank first thing, it was not firing when I got up. I recently reset all the hydronic t-stats so that they would put no demand on the system in the early morning hours. Shower was lukewarm with the shower valve on the full hot position. I verified that the water...
  2. northman

Not exactly. I have a heat exchanger in the Taco unit, so the potable side is isolated from the floor heating. The recirc Ts back into the potable side return, and it does have a check valve.
  3. northman

Hard to say, as I don't know it's cold till after I try it, by which time the burner will be on trying to catch up. I don't know that it has anything to do with it, but I also have a hot water recirc pump for the long pipe run to the kitchen, that return T's into the space heating return. So I...
  4. northman

Hi All. I have a BW water heater that sometimes will be cold in the morning when I want to shower, and it has been much worse lately. Tank is about 7 years old, model #M-1-XR65T6BN. This is a 65 gallon tank with 65,000 BTU, when it is working well it should provide almost continuous hot water...
  5. northman

How to clean old plumber's putty from porcelain?

Hello all, I have an old porcelain sink that I want to install in my bathroom remodel. What is the best way to clean the old gunk from the drain area? I assume I don't want to use anything abrasive, so what works best without harming the porcelain? Thanks for the help. Greg
  6. northman

Toilet recomendation, concrete floor with radiant heat?

Hello all, I will shortly be needing a toilet for my soon to be completed downstairs remodel. I read through some of Terry's info, and it looks like something along the lines of a Toto Drake would be a good choice. The floor is concrete with hydronic radiant heat. I've heard that radiant heat...
  7. northman

problem with water heater thermostat?

I do have a recirc pump, it is the type with the return line, not the type that dumps hot into the cold pipe. I think the cold shower was just the water taking the path of least resistance, the Delta rough in is directly below the upstairs shower and thus a short path from the crossover to...
  8. northman

Delta shower valve rough-in

thanks, I assumed they were 1/4 turn types valves.
  9. northman

Delta shower valve rough-in

I just roughed in the plumbing for a new bathroom, and installed the rough-in body for a Delta shower. When I bought it the only one they had on hand had the optional stops, so that is what I took. I plumbed it up and only got the hot side all connected before it was quitting time, so I...
  10. northman

think I solved it I had installed a rough-in valve for a Delta shower, and in spite of the stops I think it was flowing from hot to cold, or vice versa. Just ran home and sweated in a couple proper ball valves, I'm hoping that cures it.
  11. northman

Hello all, I have a 1 year old Bradford-White gas water heater, works great when all is well. On a couple occasions it seems as if the thermostat does not turn it on when it should, and I have a lukewarm soon to be cold shower. Most recently this happened yesterday, I had turned off the main...
  12. northman

mixing galvanized and ungalvanized steel pipe

anyone know how bronze fits in? is it closer to brass or copper? Just curious as I used bronze unions coming off of dielectric nipples, I suspect it is fine, just curious. Greg
  13. northman

Please make fun of this

What is wrong with copper pipe on a dielectric nipple? Does the copper pipe do something a brass flex wouldn't, other than (obviously) flexibility?
  14. northman

proper way to plumb a tempering valve?

Good point, although the tempering valve I have is Italian, no worries there, right? 2nd valve is sounding better.
  15. northman

proper way to plumb a tempering valve?

I know, I think the easier solution is to add a 2nd valve at the tempering valve, not quite elegant, but functional.
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks