Recent content by Niccolo

1. Niccolo

sink drain air sucking noise

My natural gas furnace just came on, and the sound seemed unusually loud, so I investigated. An upstairs sink drain was making a fairly loud air sucking noise. I turned on the water in the sink briefly, initially that had no effect, the second time I did it, the sucking noise went away. The...
  2. Niccolo

ringing noise from recirc pump after water shut off for a while

The plumber worked on a ground floor faucet; the water heater is also at ground level. I'm realizing he must have first drained enough hot water out of the tank, via the faucet he worked on and nearby ones, that the system was essentially dry.
  3. Niccolo

ringing noise from recirc pump after water shut off for a while

I'm curious to try to understand something I've observed a few times. I have a tank water heater with a dedicated hot water recirculation loop with a pump installed next to the water heater that pulls water from the loop and back into the bottom of the heater. Twice recently, I've had a plumber...
  4. Niccolo

shower handle gap

Separate issue: the maximum hot water seems a lot less hot at both the tub faucet and shower, i.e. it seems like the new (seemingly identical) faucet/valve is letting less hot water flow than before, is that possible? I don't think this design has a max hot water limiter. The water is very hot...
  5. Niccolo

shower handle gap

Interesting, if the back end of the sleeve doesn't need to be secured in place, I like the idea of making my own spacer to just the right size
  6. Niccolo

shower handle gap

A plumber installed a Delta shower faucet for me today, to replace one that was leaking and corroded. I'm guessing that unsightly gap between the back of the handle the rest of the assembly are within spec. I'm guessing it's a function of the old rough-in valve position relative to the wall...
  7. Niccolo

excess flow valve on water heater gas supply line

Maybe it's clear, but we're talking about a natural gas water heater, with the gas coming via pipes from the utility. Properly installed, the excess flow valve closes (fully or mostly) if there is excessive gas draw on the demand side (because of a post-valve leak), causing the pressure on the...
  8. Niccolo

Are we clear that I'm talking about an excess *gas* flow valve, i.e. something like this (often bundled with a flexible supply line): https://www.homedepot.com/p/BrassCraft-Safety-PLUS2-Thermal-Excess-Flow-valve-36-800-BTU-1-2-in-MIP-x-1-2-in-MIP-x-24-in-Gas-Connector-CSSL114TE-24-X10/304227546...
  9. Niccolo

I'm posting because I'm curious to try to understand an apparent installation error and its consequences. I recently turned off my tank water heater while gone for a two-week vacation, and it wouldn't turn back on when I returned. The plumber who came out to diagnose it pointed out that there...
  10. Niccolo

Possible Design Flaw in Toto Drake Toilets: Consider Before Purchasing

Appreciate the update and the direct message alerting me about it (having made my toilet decisions, I don't hang out on the forum, so I would have missed this post). I've found that some but not all women (and at least one kid, though that might be user error) are affected by the splash back...
  11. Niccolo

Do Anode Changes Extend Heater Life?

I was under the impression a big reason to get a water softener was to protect the water heater, interesting that you're anecdotally reporting the opposite, and that you're seeing issues specifically with Bradford Whites.
  12. Niccolo

Do powered anode rods work?

Interesting. Bradford White water heaters locate the anode at the hot water output, so something like this wouldn't work (unless you modified them to remove the anode and were able to install this in an alternate location).
  13. Niccolo

Hot water recirculation pump orientation

I just realized I misunderstood the original suggestion, I was picturing the brass coupling as male-female, not female-female. All clear.
  14. Niccolo

So the brass threaded coupling would not be tapered but the water hammer arrestor would be?
  15. Niccolo

Hmm, the irrigation pipes are PVC, I'm not sure how viable it would be to incorporate a metal segment for the purposes of having a metal place to attach a hammer arrestor. And I haven't seen any PVC threaded male hammer arrestors, either. The Home Depot website has dozens of hammer arrestors...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks