Recent content by ncgeo

1. ncgeo

Low Boy WH Install

I believe code prohibits direct-connection of PEX to a water heater. There are many different corrugated copper or stainless water heater connectors available
  2. ncgeo

Second water heater install

Late last year I purchased a Rheem Proterra from HD. 2 things to note: 1. Often HD will run a region-specific sale on them, and through some magic with entering a qualifying zip code and then changing on checkout you will also get the sale price. Look on slickdeals for details of the magic...
  3. ncgeo

Rheem Proterra Operating Modes

Trying to understand the difference in the operating modes, namely Energy Saver and Heat Pump. ES is said to have the highest efficiency, more than HP only, how can that be? My observation, having worked in the proximity of a recently-installed heater for a full day, is when in ES mode the...
  4. ncgeo

Watts PRV

Point noted on the strainer location with the 25AUB. But the N45B-M1 and N55B-M1? Not seeing any difference including the flow/pressure drop. No guidance from Watts. I wonder if its some regional thing; this is what’s used in our . I am retrofitting my home with a field-constructed PEX...
  5. ncgeo

Watts PRV

I saw that but it really doesn’t explain what the differences are between the 3 valves i noted above.
  6. ncgeo

Crimp vs. Uponor

I read that PEX-A can sometimes impart a chemical taste to water, likely related to the softer inside material.
  7. ncgeo

Watts PRV

Curious as to the differences on Watts PRVs for residential ... N45, N55, 25AUB. Not finding any differences in website info.
  8. ncgeo

Open Loop Geo + Irrigation with CSV(s)

My 1/2 HP will generate the max pressure and volume i need for both applications, so wish to avoid the additional expense of booster pump. I suppose I could also just use a single CSV running at the higher pressure needed for irrigation, but would that result in higher power consumption (same...
  9. ncgeo

Open Loop Geo + Irrigation with CSV(s)

I also posted this on the cyclestopvalve.com forum ... Any thoughts? I saw on some other threads using a second CSV and booster pump for occasional higher pressure usage on a mostly low-pressure open-loop geothermal heat pump application. Is there any way to do this without the booster pump...
  10. ncgeo

Spin-Down and/or Sediment Filter Installation Location? w pside-kick?

I just found the specs on the Lakos ... is only rated at 100 psi! So it won't work either, at least that specific model. They claim it will never clog up, so is safe for installation before the pressure switch. But that does not consider what a CSV can do to upstream pressure.
  11. ncgeo

Installing a 75 psi safety relief valve before (upstream) of the CSV would not be a good idea; it is very possible you will see 100 psi + while in low-flow or refill mode, even with a properly sized pump. Not enough pressure to burst the filter, but enough to blow-off the safety. Regarding...
  12. ncgeo

One potential issue is can the sediment filter handle the head pressure when the pump/CSV is operating at a near-deadhead condition, like when the tank is in refill mode? The American Granby filter I have installed is rated for a max pressure of 150 psi. Besides the specs on the filter you...
  13. ncgeo

What should I expect ?

Actually that should read "what could happen when a pump is spec'd with no regard to pumping depth" ... motor power is more related to pumping height/pressure than volume.
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks