Recent content by Nathan Gant

1. Nathan Gant

Capacitor start submersible pump relay for irrigation

An electrician was on site there yesterday and confirmed what you have stated, that the (black ) 220vac UG wire going to pump was definitely bad. So it looks like I should have irrigation up and running when I bring in a 50ft run of new UG-rated wiring to submersible pump. Hopefully all will...
  2. Nathan Gant

Advice noted. I may have some extra UG-rated wiring to make a temporary 50ft run from pump start controller to pump. I’ll see what I can do in this regard before I can assume a bad submersible pump.
  3. Nathan Gant

I checked Y and B wires going back to well point, voltage was about 120vac here with power supplied to pump. Is that a normal drop in voltage at this point?
  4. Nathan Gant

With indexing controller toggled ON (power out to pump start control), B and Y terminals show 275-280vac. L1 and L2 terminals show 280vac.
  5. Nathan Gant

I clamped ammeter to a nearby AC unit that was running at the time, I got a reading so I know ammeter is okay Unfortunately clamping to output with power to pump, didn’t even get fractional amperage Note Hunter pump relay is wired parallel with, and on top of pump start controller. Doesn’t do...
  6. Nathan Gant

Here is photo showing voltage drop near pump in ground, only 27vac but output at capacitor start controller is 275vac.
  7. Nathan Gant

I just finished putting in a new capacitor, I’m getting 275vac output going to pump now However I tracked wires going to submersible pump and noted a significant voltage drop at that point, barely 27vac here. Would this suggest a bad wire or pump needs servicing?
  8. Nathan Gant

Thanks for all the expert advice here. Speaking of lightning, I’ve once found an entire series of irrigation 24vac solenoids that all got zapped when a lightning surge traveled through the ground wires and hit half a dozen irrigation solenoids at once. It may be a bad capacitor in the...
  9. Nathan Gant

Also homeowner told me that about 2 weeks ago, there was a lightning strike in neighborhood and it zapped a wireless router and some other equipment inside house. Just ordered new 220vac cap so hopefully this will complete the circuit and get power back to pump.
  10. Nathan Gant

Thanks for that information. I just checked voltage from panel box, got the 220vac circuit coming in hot with K Rain indexing controller toggled in ON position, so I’m just going to swap out for a new capacitor. It’s says 270vac here, is that normal? I didn’t notice that much extra ac voltage...
  11. Nathan Gant

Indexing irrigation systems are mechanically operated, so is no 24vac irrigation transformer to replace in this system. Indexing systems don't use 24vac electric solenoids and 24vac transformers aren't needed to open and close valves. Although I wish I could go with a more modern 24vac...
  12. Nathan Gant

looks like everything for the past few months has been working fine until today, customer says he lost irrigation again. hopefully I can diagnose and narrow down the problem this week. I don't do submersible pumps, is anyone available to tackle this if that is the problem. Customer lives in...
  13. Nathan Gant

I have installed the new Franklin Electric pump relay, the original mechanical indexing valves appear to be working as the yard isn't getting dry anymore. I also have a new Hunter pump relay piggybacked to the Franklin Electric relay, and it's only there to check that the new irrigation...
  14. Nathan Gant

The indexing primary relay is wired to turn on pump based on trigger clips from indexing clock. It cannot be bypassed by toggling from AUTO to ON unless clips are already in position for triggering and running pump. Note below in photo: white wire / Power Out from Hunter relay is wired with...
  15. Nathan Gant

There are only two mechanical relays, one is the Hunter pump relay (solenoid) which connects from the 24vac supplied by Rainbird controller's 24vac relay outputs. The Hunter pump relay will work as designed for electric valves but it doesn't have the capacitor start to run a submersible pump...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks