Recent content by Mr Fixit eh

1. Mr Fixit eh

Primer with ABS solvent cement - bad?

So I pulled the drain section apart and re-glued with all new parts. The parts are impossible to separate. I don't doubt that heat/cool cycles would cause the joints to separate and leak over time, but they sure do seem strong today.
  2. Mr Fixit eh

So - I called Oatey tech department to ask. The response was pretty clear - the primer will degrade the ABS pipe and the joint will fail sooner or later. I asked if they could quantify the risk level. The answer "it will fail sooner or later and the leak might be big or small". I suspect...
  3. Mr Fixit eh

Any thoughts on this? I'm thinking it should not be a problem that would lead to joint failure. Also, this is one p-trap and washer drain, not a whole house issue.
  4. Mr Fixit eh

So now I've glued up my next run of ABS drain (2"). My web research indicated that primer is not necessary with ABS, but it was permitted. I used Oatey clear cleaner for ABS/PVC followed by Oatey purple PVC primer followed by Oatey Premium Yellow ABS cement. Now I'm reading on the Oatey...
  5. Mr Fixit eh

Wrong Solvent Cement

So I accidentally used PVC solvent cement with primer on ABS waste pipe 2". How serious is this - do I need to re-do this work. To add insult to injury, one of the three joints worked out of the hub about 1/3 of the way.
  6. Mr Fixit eh

Toilet Base Leaks When clogged

As I think about this, I remember that as I was working on the drain I could see 'water' about a foot below the flange - I didn't think anything of it at the time. This toilet has sat unused for quite a while, so I will enquire tomorrow about the history. My guess is there was a clog that never...
  7. Mr Fixit eh

Hi Reach4, I'm wondering how the soil pipe could be clogged when the toilet flushed prior to removing and resetting the toilet? Didn't notice wax blow out, but I wasn't looking for that Good tip in shims. Hadn't thought about that.
  8. Mr Fixit eh

Thanks, Terry. I can't get back for a few days. I'll check trap way then. How does the plastic horn make it's seal? I'm wondering if water is working up between the horn and the flange.
  9. Mr Fixit eh

So, I'm helping a friend with a toilet that was leaking around the base. The valve would stick open and there would be significant flooding from the base. The plumbing system is 30 years old, toilet is fairly 'new'. Before I started, I flushed - no leaking. I dumped a pail of water down to...
  10. Mr Fixit eh

Copper Threaded Adapter Leaking

Success - I wanted to let you know that I've had success, thanks to all your advice. Thanks again, Steve
  11. Mr Fixit eh

Thanks for all the replies, you've been a big help. Once again - this is a great web resource you have here. Steve
  12. Mr Fixit eh

That's why I'm here:D Thanks for the reply. Steve
  13. Mr Fixit eh

What about stripping the threads on the threaded adaptor? I'm guessing from what you've posted, the heat from soldering the threaded coupling to 1/2 stub probably expanded the coupling enough to create a leak....? If I use a compression coupling, is there any problem using it with the...
  14. Mr Fixit eh

No, I wrapped the tape, threaded and tightened the threaded adaptor onto the hosebib, then soldered - is that a problem?
  15. Mr Fixit eh

I haven't been on the forums for quite a while - no plumbing projects until now! Great site. I'm installing a frost-free hosebib. I used a threaded adapter with 2 wraps of teflon tape to connect to the hosebib and then soldered the 1/2 inch copper to the adapter. First try - small drip...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks