Recent content by Modrob

1. Modrob

Repair/replace/update old cutoff valve

Thanks John. There is a union in the left side. I’m having my sister who lives next door spray all the threads with penetrating oil over the next couple days to aid in the tear down. Yes, it’s her only shower as the main bath has major problems...and “cross connection”? I’m not sure what that...
  2. Modrob

I put it back together temporarily until I can get back (about an hour away) and get back in to it. I didn’t think to get a pic of the stem—I’ll get one... I’m a jack-leg at just about anything I dive into, but this setup was worse than anything I’ve come up with over the years, so I think I’m...
  3. Modrob

Thanks Reach4...yes the ball valve surprised me, as it would not completely stop the dripping from the “downspout” (I couldn’t think of that word yesterday—my aging has me forgetting more and more words lately.) There isn’t a washer on the end of these stems, nor a screw, but instead it looks...
  4. Modrob

Another look at one of the valves...
  5. Modrob

Thanks John...I wish now I’d tried to get a pic of the inside (seat area) of that valve—So I take it one would have to “resurface” that seat? Best I can remember, it didn’t look like it was removable, but again in such bad shape don’t think I could see it if it was... Looking like replacing the...
  6. Modrob

Mom's neighbor, low income, has a very run-down house with lots of problems. (Most likely terribly expensive) Basement has an old shower area that the late husband plumbed in two general cutoff valves, in to a T-fitting, which a plain pipe runs up the wall and bent out to form a downspout...
  7. Modrob

Electric Water Heater Issues

Plus...I’m still learning all the little ins and outs of the plumbing system here—lots of “odd” ways of doing things to me, so I’m learning as I go on thinking like the late husband-installer did. After all, this place is spread out in a lot of square footage now, having started only as a...
  8. Modrob

Hey Jeff... A second unit would be for added security/protection, and at the time I didn’t know much about how this small-town utility worked. But they did make it yesterday. The young man was pretty good at his job and explained some details to us about our area. As I said, we are in a rural...
  9. Modrob

Oh , and yes, I figured yesterday that adding a Regulator inside would be extra insurance...it’ll be a bit of a devil to squeeze it in somewhere—you should see the plumbing setup here! The late husband was a genius in so many areas, but many times he did things “his way”... Originally well...
  10. Modrob

Wow! Reach and Dana—you guys are the best! Thanks for taking time to try and explain things to me. Dana—I’ll have to find a quiet spot/time and see if I can steer my feeble aging brain to delve deeper into your explanation. That’s what I like—the how’s and why’s of how things work... Water Dept...
  11. Modrob

Of course, the Water Dept didn’t make it by...even though the desk lady made it an important call because of the high pressure... Well, got the expansion tank installed, and after turning water back on, it acted like it was more normal—gauges were slow coming up, but after about a minute or two...
  12. Modrob

Well, no one from Water company showed today. So I’m gonna go ahead and install the expansion tank in the meantime, and maybe tomorrow they’ll show...
  13. Modrob

I found it! Right smack next to the meter in the ground! LOL... We live in a rural area, but are served by a small town public service district. The meter is waaaaaay down the hill from the house. I made several trips back and forth, trying different things. End result is: barely cracking the...
  14. Modrob

First, I’ll go and gauge a couple more spigots and see what I get...
  15. Modrob

I’m sure there’s a pressure regulator SOMEWHERE...I’ll have to go dig for that. Maybe that regulator needs replaced?
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks