Recent content by MikeyVon

1. MikeyVon

Installing a Wood Stove

I would shy away from vermont castings. From my understanding they used to be a great company with a very good product. They have been bough and sold numerous times in the last few years and quality has fallen shaprly. For info on woodstoves check out hearth.com.
  2. MikeyVon

water heater distance from wall ?

I will be installing my water heater this week and need to know how far off the wall I can place the water heater. I have some radiant lines that I would like to run behind the water heater and I also need to get the venting in the joist bay. I would like to place the water heater around...
  3. MikeyVon

Heat Exchanger and pump sizing

cattledog - thanks for the response. It does seem that I still have some homework to do. I am trying to do my heating as simple and economical as possible. We heat primarily with wood heat. We designed our house plan to be open to make wood stove most effective. That coupled with our relatively...
  4. MikeyVon

^^^bumpity bump bump
  5. MikeyVon

I am using flat panel radiators to heat my new home. I am trying to size my heat exchanger and pumps to run off of my water heater (Smith Vertex 76K BTU). My total heating load is 36K BTU per hour. I am using Veha radiators. There are 9 radiators on 8 zones (2 will be in series in the...
  6. MikeyVon

is 36 lbs pf pressure enough?

I do not have much area above the house (well i do but it would cost $$$ to get there). I do have room in the crawlspace. Can any of these pumps be installed underground? Would I still get my 36#'s if the power goes out? Is sound an issue? This is a forever home and I would like it done...
  7. MikeyVon

I am already running a 1" meter and 1" supply lines to the house.
  8. MikeyVon

I have a great structure, but no attic.
  9. MikeyVon

not sure if I am happy with my fixtures, as they are not hooked up yet. This is new construction and I am acting as Owner/Builder. I am close to being finished with my plumbing (minus fixtures). I understand that I am losing a lot of pressure due to my lenght of run and increase in...
  10. MikeyVon

So, I just got my water turned on and threw on a pressure gauge right by the house. I got 36 lbs of pressure. I was hoping for more but expecting less. I am on our towns water system, using 1" pvc through a 1" meter. I have a 450' run with about 125 vertical foot climb. Is 36 lbs enough...
  11. MikeyVon

Used Wirsbo Expander Tool

from my limited experience of installing wirbo pex in my house, i would say no.
  12. MikeyVon

PEX -> shower valve terminations

So I am finishing up my rough-in plumbing and need some direction on the best way to finish up at the shower valves and hose bibs. I am running 3/4" wirsbo pex to both fixture types. I was planning on going pex to copper and then copper into the fixtures. The shower valves have male and...
  13. MikeyVon

flat panel radiators - mechanicals?

jadnashau - thanks for the comments. We are not in a super cold climate with an outdoor design temp of 17 degrees. We also use a woodstove as primary heat. Due to those factors we will be using a water heater (AO Smith Vertex) with a heat exchanger to run the radiator side. All the radiator...
  14. MikeyVon

flat panel radiators - mechanicals?

I plan on using flat panel radiators for my new home. I was originally going to do underfloor radiant and I have a decent understanding of the zone mainfolds, flow pumps, controls, ect. for underfloor. I am assuming that with panel radiators with thermostatic valves the mechanicals are...
  15. MikeyVon

AO Smith Vertex

i will look into the extended warranty. thanks! :)
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks