Recent content by Mikeyboy

1. Mikeyboy

Chimney Repair

My 1960s home has two chimneys where the previous owner seemed to re-stucco both chimneys for appearance right before we bought the house. On the furnace chimney, the stucco has fallen off. I had a few chimney companies come out for estimates and they are recommending to install a new...
  2. Mikeyboy

Humidity Spread

I would like to buy a portable humidifier but I am unsure where to place it. I am hoping to buy one that can do the whole job. If I place it on the 1st floor, will it spread to the 2nd floor easily? Or if I place it on the 2nd floor will it spread better to the 1st floor. Or should I just...
  3. Mikeyboy

Whole House Humidifier

Isnt the Aprilaire 600a a flow through? Can you recommend some brands, models, etc?
  4. Mikeyboy

Whole House Humidifier

I have one of those new Honeywell VisionPro 8000 Thermostats. I just had it installed less than a year ago.
  5. Mikeyboy

Whole House Humidifier

I called a bunch of Aprilaire dealers and they are all quoting me around $750 installed for the 600a. I can buy it online for $200 but I am having a hard time getting someone to insall it. Dry skin a little...Nose bleed no. The whole house is hard wood. I understand I may not save much...
  6. Mikeyboy

Replace or Not?

I really dont know how much heat loss if any is going through those light fixtures in between the floor spaces. I dont think there is installation there. Is there? They are easy to change but if it wont make a difference then I wont bother.
  7. Mikeyboy

Whole House Humidifier

So based on the 1 degree difference from 25% to 35% RH and it might hard to reach 35% RH even with my double pane windows, is purchasing/installing a whole house humidifier worth the money? It's around $750 for an Aprilaire 600a.
  8. Mikeyboy

Replace or Not?

I have 17 light fixtures all together that I installed air-tite trims. I only have access with 6 of the 17. The remaining 11 are not accessible due to small attics or are in cathedral rooms. Can someone please answer if I should replace the trims between the floor spaces?
  9. Mikeyboy

Whole House Humidifier

Yes, I have a forced air system and floor drainage will not be a problem. Please correct me if I am wrong. I feel a portable unit requires more attention and thank you for verifying that they are loud. A whole house humidifier makes no noise and is out of the way. When we have kids...
  10. Mikeyboy

Replace or Not?

When we bought the house two years ago, the previous owner went the inexpensive route with the non-ic fixtures. I dont have the funds to replace them right now so I thought the air-tite trims would help decrease the amount of heat loss. Wont it? Should I replace the trims between the...
  11. Mikeyboy

Replace or Not?

My entire house has non-ic recessed cans and I just replaced all the trims with air-tite trims for all recessed lights that has an attic above. This is to hopefully prevent any air leakage going in or out through those fixtures. Should I replace those trims with air-tite trims that have...
  12. Mikeyboy

Whole House Humidifier

My house was built in the 60s. The 1st and 2nd Floor combined is almst 1,800 sq ft. The unfinished unvented crawl space is about 1,000 sq ft. Outside temps are from 15 - 35 deg G. I'm in NJ.
  13. Mikeyboy

Water Heater Temp

So, what's the best way to allow more people to take showers with hot water?
  14. Mikeyboy

Water Heater Temp

Both bathrooms have new showerheads that my wife bought at Bed Bath and Beyond within the past year. What's the logic in making the tank look bigger if you raise the temp? Is setting it to 140 degrees OK?
  15. Mikeyboy

Whole House Humidifier

I have humidity readings all over the house and they all range from 20% - 28%. I've weatherstipped all my windows and installed air-tite trims on all my recesssed lightings to hopesully increase humidity but still it is in the low 20s during this cold season. Would a whole house humidifiers...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks