Recent content by Mike from Brier

1. Mike from Brier

Removing a tub drain stopper

Awesome! Thanks for the info. I figured if it was removable it had to be simple, but didn't see that as an option. Much appreciate!
  2. Mike from Brier

Removing a tub drain stopper

Quick question: How do I remove the stopper shown in the attached photo? We just turn it to close and open it, but I can't seem to remove it. Is it integral and unremovable without dismantling the drain? Thanks for any assistance!
  3. Mike from Brier

Temporarily move a water heater?

Thanks for the thoughts Reach4 and JRC3! I hadn't thought about using the sump pit to drain into...I was thinking I'd run it to the laundry sink, but the pit is much closer. I even have a nice pump I can use to suck the water out of the tank to speed things up. Cheers!
  4. Mike from Brier

Temporarily move a water heater?

We have a wet utility room due to a high water table, and old house with no footing drains, and a cement block foundation on slab. Our drainage and structural services contractor has installed a sump pump in a below grade tank in the corner of the wet area inside the house that is fed by perf...
  5. Mike from Brier

Orange build-up on showertile grout

Hey Jim, I owe you a long overdue thank you, and an update regarding your "solution". It really works well, and I've forwarded it to several others who have had good results as well! Thanks again, and cheers!
  6. Mike from Brier

Undermount kitchen sink gunk build-up

Thanks for the reply. I checked the cutout as you mentioned, and it seems to be just as you indicate it should be. No lip, only a very small rounded V-groove between sink and slab, and when fabricated the slab was smooth and polished along the entire seam. Upon closer examination, the worst area...
  7. Mike from Brier

Undermount kitchen sink gunk build-up

We have a large, deep stainless steel kitchen sink that is under-mounted beneath a granite counter top. If I remember correctly, the counter top installers used some kind of adhesive on the sink flange where it contacts the lower surface of the granite before they mounted the sink several years...
  8. Mike from Brier

Thanks, Jim. Will do.
  9. Mike from Brier

After I originally sent you a PM to clarify this solution, it dawned on me other readers might want to know your answer as well. Should the 1 cup of boric acid be diluted (and if so, to what ratio), or added to the other ingredients in powder form?
  10. Mike from Brier

You're right....sorry I forgot to acknowledge that. I like your "solution" better than some others I've been reading about, so I think I'll try it! I'll post results on its effectiveness in the coming days. Cheers!
  11. Mike from Brier

Well, interestingly enough, our municipal water supply is considered soft according to the water quality expert from our water district. It has negligible amounts of iron, and in fact they aren't even required to quantify how much is in the water, but have tested for it to answer questions like...
  12. Mike from Brier

Thanks for the feedback, Reach4! We are on a municipal water system, so my first stop will be with the water district to see if they have the data needed to determine if a softening system is required. If necessary, I'll then start looking into sizing a system for our 2-bath, 3-person home...
  13. Mike from Brier

If it turns out to be iron deposits, how do we add water softener to our home system?
  14. Mike from Brier

Orange build-up on shower tile grout I submitted a similar question on a ceramic tile advice forum and got a couple suggestions, but thought I'd post it here also in hopes that some of you in the plumbing trades (or anyone else for that matter) can help narrow down what this problem is caused...
  15. Mike from Brier

Dishwasher odor questions

We have a 5-year old Maytag MDB9100AWB dishwasher that has developed a rather foul odor over the past couple years. Thinking the filters were gunked up with rotten food particles, I took them out and cleaned the fine-mesh filter plate (the pump filter was clean). The filter plate had a little...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks