Recent content by Michael Bluejay

1. Michael Bluejay

How to connect sewer line to City main?

Here's the pic showing the roots wrapped around the pipe, before it was removed.
  2. Michael Bluejay

The roots were indeed not visible in the original picture. Once I excavated just a few more inches, then the roots were visible. I didn't watch the whole process, but I think the City took out at least 4-5' of RCP. The new cleanout is in the right of way, not on my property. When a new home...
  3. Michael Bluejay

Here's an update: Excavating the city's RCP a little more, I found that there were roots wrapped completely around one section like a boa constrictor, with the concrete obviously broken. I thought that would still be my responsibility to fix, because in my city the homeowner is responsible for...
  4. Michael Bluejay

Thanks all for the replies. Here's what I found: (1) If the job goes into the right of way, a permit is required, and I have to use one of the special contractors who are authorized to work in the right of way. (2) There are only like 5 plumbers in Austin, TX with that authorization, out of...
  5. Michael Bluejay

Thanks all. I have a cleanout just outside the house, so there was easy access for the machine. I'd really like to replace 100% of the cast iron, not just 99.9% of it. I'll see what the City says.
  6. Michael Bluejay

Tree roots got into my 1965-era iron sewer pipe so I'm replacing everything from the house to the street with 4" Schedule 40 PVC. I've trenched out to the City main and it appears that the connection of the old sewer line was made with concrete. How do I make the new connection? Chisel out...
  7. Michael Bluejay

Can a horizontal wye connect to a drain upstream (backwards)?

Thank you again for your help. I'll either post pictures or hire a local plumber to inspect before I button it up.
  8. Michael Bluejay

Okay, thank you, I think I've finally got it! For the sink, at the top of the trap arm in the wall, I'll install a vent that goes straight up. Once the sink drain line goes down inside the wall, I'll drill a hole through the bottom plate and tie the sink drain line into the toilet drain line...
  9. Michael Bluejay

Thank you, I see. So, now that I'll be connecting the shower drain horizontally, that gives me a lot more vertical space to work with since I don't need a vertical wye for venting, so I'll be able to easily fit my shower drain. That solves the original problem I posted about. Here's my...
  10. Michael Bluejay

Thank you as usual. I can tell you that the sink drain doesn't vent until it connects to the Existing Vent in Wall, so I think that's wrong and the sink needs to have either a separate, higher horizontal arm for venting, or a vertical piece above the 90° turn in the wall. I don't know how the...
  11. Michael Bluejay

Thank you. I'd like to have an idea of how I'm going to do the drains before I think about venting. Once I know how the drains are going to be plumbed, then I'll think about where the vents can connect to them. As in my original post, I was thinking of installing the wye from the shower...
  12. Michael Bluejay

Thank you again. The center of the current sink is 31" from the left wall, with the drain running through the top wall, where it meets up with the existing vent shown in the diagram. I don't really understand your second question, but since the sink drain is in the wall, I think the answer...
  13. Michael Bluejay

Thank you for the replies. My area uses UPC. Here's the dimensioned floor plan. The all dimensions are measuring the inside, from finished wall (drywall) to finished wall. The old toilet is roughly where the new shower is going. I removed the toilet and dug down through the slab and can see...
  14. Michael Bluejay

I'm sorry, I should have been more specific. It's a concrete slab. I'm installing both the shower and the toilet. The only existing is the vertical part of the drain and vent.
  15. Michael Bluejay

I'm installing a shower but the 18" between its drain and the wall is not enough space to run its trap arm, wye for a vent, and wye to tie into the main drain. If it's acceptable, I'd like to connect the shower drain to the trap arm coming from the toilet, but the wye from the shower would be...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks