Recent content by mengel

1. mengel

How to hand drive a cased well

Well, at 15-20' it's much cheaper to just do a sledge-hammer well. However, I have one of these I bought used at an auction, and it works well: http://deepwelldrill.com/ or http://www.deeprock.com/#Scene_2 Try to find one used somewhere, like I did. You can get them MUCH cheaper than...
  2. mengel

General Ionics salt softener problem..

No, I haven't changed any pins, and don't really plan to. That parts been working for years as you said, so I see no reason to change it. I haven't cleaned the injector yet, as I wanted to make sure the brine tank overflow issue was fixed first (it is, at least the safety valve part of it)...
  3. mengel

Can a pump protector be bypassed?

I HOPE you shut off your MAIN breaker, or pulled out the main meter! (even better) :eek: Because if you didn't do either of these, feeding a generator INTO the 220 volt dryer circuit, will backfeed power out of your house, and to the main transmission lines going to your house! It energizes...
  4. mengel

Gary, I might now have another problem. I had the cover off of the timer assembly, and accidently swiped my hand down along the right side. It must have rubbed against the program wheel, as I heard a noise of gears grinding together, and I'm pretty sure the whole wheel turned clockwise a few...
  5. mengel

I thank everybody for your input, and there has been some valuable information to me given in this post. I will take all of it under consideration, and make the checks, and adjustments as needed after I look it over some more. Your info has given me more insight as to how these work, and run...
  6. mengel

I will look this over, and see if this looks like what you are describing, and go from there. Thanks for the info!
  7. mengel

Ok, so notwithstanding there's been a problem with the saftey float, you are thinking that something changed on a timer setting, that caused this? What runs that control valve? By "control valve" do you mean the solenoid that that the tube going to the brine tank connects to? How would I make an...
  8. mengel

Ok, I discovered something last night after attempting to clean the brine tank outside. Looks like somebody dumped a bunch of ROAD SALT in the tank, and it had hardened up in the bottom. I talked to my son at college, and he admitted when we were gone on vacation last summer, and he was home, it...
  9. mengel

We own a "General Ionics" brand salt softener, that's probably about 15 years old. We are the 3rd owners of the house, and it was here when we bought it. This is on a WELL, and the water is hard, and has some iron in it. When the softener is working, the water tastes better to drink than city...
  10. mengel

Problem with Goulds J Plus jet pump, motor stuck

Well, I went back to the cabin 6 weeks after last being there. Everything was shut off when we left. I started the pump, and it started up perfectly with no help! That's the first time it's gone that long in years without being frozen up. So, I think all the things I did to keep it dryer down...
  11. mengel

Hey, I didn't think of that! It has possibilities, thanks. I just spent the weekend up at the cabin, and completely cleaned, and sealed the inside of the tank, like I said in my post above. I also put an aluminum pan under the pump, and sealed all the piping with that foam split insulation. I...
  12. mengel

Thanks for all your responses so far. I'm hoping it's partly the electrical wiring issue that I corrected, somehow causing a state that makes the motor collect those salts faster than normal. Perhaps even the motor just happens to be flaky, and not working up to snuff. However, I do agree that...
  13. mengel

Well, you may be right. I would have thought Gould pumps were able to handle this sort of environment. Also, I know the previous pump was in there from 1973 until 2004, and worked until then without corroding, or sticking. That's 30+ years. The first owner, lived in the cabin all year around. We...
  14. mengel

Hopefully somebody can help me, or let me know if my supposition is correct. This is a long story, but I'm sure the info will help. By the way, I'm an electronic technician, so I do know something about wiring and voltages, and how to use a meter. We bought a cabin up north in 2005 almost...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks