Recent content by McMike

1. McMike

Diverter problem

big box stores mainly want to sell new faucets and have cut back on faucet repair parts over the years, ace is the place for older or off brand parts in this area, it is also nice to support (usually) local family owned businesses
  2. McMike

Toilet doesn't evacuate like it used to

i would fill a 5 gallon bucket of water and dump it all down the toilet as fast as it will take it, if the drain is clear it will take that water down fast and indicate a flush quality problem, if it does not take it fast there is a drain obstuction, if a drain problem is indicated i would fill...
  3. McMike

Hose Bib Question

arrowhead? there is a brand out there, i think it was arrowhead, at one time their vac breaker screwed onto the hose outlet without a set screw, just really tightened onto the faucet body, it met code at the time i believe because the threads that the vac breaker screwed onto the faucet were...
  4. McMike

Moen positemp problem - clogged??

lost bit of rubber likely part of the black rubber rectangular gasket sheared off and is lodged in shower port of valve, you will need a strong o ring pick and maybe a new cartridge to fix, you first need to turn water off to faucet, disassemble faucet, with cartridge removed there will be a...
  5. McMike

Faux Flushing

check flush valve as well you also want to be sure the flush valve face (the part the flapper seals against) is clean, i will use a good strong fingernail and scrape along the face of the flush valve to remove hard water deposits, you should feel a nice smooth face for the flapper to seat...
  6. McMike

Water pipes noisy/chugging. Toilet guilty?

i am not too familiar with toto fill valves (worked on a few older ones) but i have seen where the rubber tubing has been extended too far into the overflow tube and water has siphoned from tank through fill valve down overflow tube, so fill valve may shut off but siphonage flows down overflow...
  7. McMike

Toilet flange above or level with floor

The last company I worked for(service plumbing and remodels) had a policy of flange on finished floor, the majority of the leaky toilet floor seals we were called to repair were 3inch PVC flange 10-15 years old, below floor level, if we used thicker wax we would still have problems within our 2...
  8. McMike

Older wall hung toilet problem

also take a pic inside the tank, alot of toilet tank parts can be replaced with basic store bought parts, get the good parts though and rebuild the whole thing, not just most parts, a good thorough rebuild of all moving parts will save alot of money, if the china is good why replace the whole...
  9. McMike

New bath- slow tub drain

a couple things to consider: the tub drain opening may be smaller than what you are used to-i have seen some small openings in certain drain fittings made by certain manufacturers. something else to consider-with the new tub came new walls, did you put in the new walls or have someone else do...
  10. McMike

How do I stop this faucet from leaking?

it is not a compression faucet, it is a ceramic cartridge faucet, if you look at the bottom of the cartridge and turn the stem inside of the cartridge you will see a window open and close to allow water through, that metal stuff is foreign object material, probably solder from the pipework, and...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks