Recent content by MaxBlack

1. MaxBlack

Pressure Tank Over-pressurized (Pressure Switch Stuck), Now Softener & Iron Filter are Messed Up

Isolated to only the brine water? Bought current house seven years ago from a non-handyman who obviously never touched/fixed ANYTHING, and we did some remodeling that included plumbing work. Found the pressure tank contained years' worth of disgusting gunk that got into all the pipes--should...
  2. MaxBlack

Morton salt crystal size

Funny my last bag of Morton's (pellets not crystals) looked way different from previous bags (mostly Sam's Club); darker (grey actually) and much larger than the normal white pellets I'm used to. I've heard there are differences sometimes due to mining and manufacturing but this is the first...
  3. MaxBlack

Helping my wife

Sure, hopefully the OP's system is rinsing properly. If not, that would become a prime suspect. I might expect though that if the rinse is not thorough enough that someone might be able to taste the saltiness. I'm no chemist but a quick surf on this suggests testing for NaCl is nontrivial.
  4. MaxBlack

Helping my wife

I think this would be good to try although in theory of course the briny water is rinsed-free from the softener's resin before it is put into service again. I have a different-but-similar problem with my own wife, whose hair comes-out at one house and does NOT in another. In her case we have...
  5. MaxBlack

Reverse Osmos.is constantly dripping into the floor drain. Can that "waste" water be piped to the back yard?

I would always recommend to put the system in the basement in a spot where everything is more readily accessible than under the kitchen sink. Why do you want to run the waste water to the backyard? Doesn't that create a possible wetness problem? What about freezing? If your goal is to "save the...
  6. MaxBlack

Water heater drain valve drip

This sounds like my TPR valve (not drain) but I assume you know the difference? I've never seen a TPR with a garden hose fitting so... I've capped drain valves before (easy-peasy) and assumed they have a gasket or o-ring or etc. that got damaged when operated.Or maybe grit got in the way of...
  7. MaxBlack

Is Radioactive GAC a thing?

So effectively this is all much ado about nothing. At least I now have a geiger counter so I know when I can safely go outside after the coming nuclear holocaust. Hmm I need still goggles, and a suit. :cool:
  8. MaxBlack

FWIW I received my geiger counter and readings at my GAC filter are no different-or-higher than "normal background". Our radon-in-air is hideously high, in the forties typically, then our mitigation system lowers that to below 10, so I would certainly expect we have radon in our water. But with...
  9. MaxBlack

Water feels hard after regeneration, for a while

Thanks Bannerman, but... Do you think Culligan claiming better performance from their media than "standard" resin might have any basis in fact? I dunno anything about resin types/chemistry/manufacturing so will appreciate yr input.
  10. MaxBlack

Water feels hard after regeneration, for a while

1,800gal seems an awful lot. At least, my water is 35gpg and my softener gives me HALF THAT between regens. Mine has 1.5cuft of resin with capacity 40,662 grains @ 12.0 lb dosage. So I should get 10662/35=1162gal less "overhead" which I've set I think at 15% or 174 gallons in "Reserve".
  11. MaxBlack

Water tastes funny sometimes

Hmmm tastes "funny" doesn't tell much. When it does, how long does it last? If "funny" in the bathroom, is it "funny" in the kitchen? Other taps? Limited to a specific faucet? If not, i.e. if the taste comes & goes throughout the house and lasts for days at a time, I'd be inclined to suspect...
  12. MaxBlack

Dirt cheap. Read the reviews. Watch the videos. Do it. https://www.amazon.com/GQ-GMC-300S-Radiation-Detector-Dosimeter/dp/B0B541D433/ref=sr_1_1_sspa $45 bucks US. Hell, I bought one.
  13. MaxBlack

I see. My own filter is a 20" Big Blue and I can get 3 GAC filters for less than $100 bucks US. I might get a geiger counter: 1. It might tell you there's no more radiation at your filter than outside on your porch or deck. 2. I would use this as an excuse to buy another tool. I use any...
  14. MaxBlack

Why is the outside pipe spaced from the wall?

Yup that pipe intended to carry the water away from your foundation just like you have gutters to do the same thing. Don't want water to pool against your foundation and possibly leak-thru.
  15. MaxBlack

According to this site radon IS filtered by GAC and DOES result in "radioactive GAC" https://archive.epa.gov/water/archive/web/html/basicinformation-2.html But at the same time, it says that radon released to the air by water is miniscule by comparison to radon released into the air from your...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks