Recent content by Matt Peiris

1. Matt Peiris

Looking For Recommendation For Water Softener

Take a look at UXC- 1252. It has 10% crosslinked resin, a 2.0 cu.ft resin bed and a 5810 XTR2 control head. It comes with 1" MNPT inlet/outlet, but I'm sure you can ask for 3/4".
  2. Matt Peiris

Recommendation on water softener

It will help to know the level of hardness in your water. A hardness titration test will assist in choosing the correct resin tank size and also needed to estimate the amount of salt needed per month. 4.5x20" Big blue whole house filters will work to remove chlorine, but they limit the flow...
  3. Matt Peiris

Viqua Filtration system

A UV filter by itself will not protect you against microbiological contamination from lake water. Water must be pre-treated to contain less than 0.3 mg/L concentration of iron, 0.1 mg/L of tannins and less than 7 grains of hardness, before it enters the UV radiation chamber. Can't tell for sure...
  4. Matt Peiris

Problem with water spots on chrome fixtures

Silica can cause scaling and glass etching. Reduction of both colloidal and reactive silica in residential applications are mostly limited to whole house reverse osmosis. RO membranes reject 80% of reactive silica and 99.8% of colloidal silica. To avoid silica fouling on ro membranes, use an...
  5. Matt Peiris

Replacement RO Booster Pump

A typical ro system with a booster pump has two pressure switches. A low pressure switch at the inlet (activated or conducting current around 5 psi) makes sure the pump will not run dry. A high pressure switch (deactivated at 40, 60 or 80 psi) cuts off power to the pump when a pressure tank has...
  6. Matt Peiris

Need to replace water softener?

Resin is not that expensive. Assuming the controller is working fine, you only need new resin. A quick search online tells me that your system has a built in sediment filter and is also rated for chlorine taste and odor reduction. Chlorine treatment is usually done by activated carbon. Locate...
  7. Matt Peiris

Toilet hard or soft water?

Sprinklers or outside faucets don't need softened water, unless necessary to prevent iron stains on buildings and concrete (softener removes some iron as well). However, plumb everything else including the water heater and toilet to be downstream of the softener.
  8. Matt Peiris

Water well filtration

Gordo, I would go with KL as well. However since no one suggested, I'd like to point out you also have another option. KDF-85 is also rated to treat iron and H2S (concentrations up to 5 ppm). KDF is rated for a higher effective flow rate than KL. Katalox Light is only rated for 12 gpm/ ft2...
  9. Matt Peiris

Iron filter for irrigation system

How much iron are we talking about? Better to get an analysis from a local lab rather than perform a simple field test since treatment equipment is going to be a big investment. Do you also need this water to be potable? We would like to see the following. Appearance when draw Iron...
  10. Matt Peiris

Looking for an Iron Filter and Softener Solution for new well

I'm interested to know if you were able to implement the solutions discussed here. It's been an year since the last post. To my knowledge, with the given analysis, a properly sized cation exchange softener should be able to handle both the hardness and iron. If there are no other major...
  11. Matt Peiris

Salt Based vs Non Salt Based House Water Filtration Systems?

At low flow rates (<5 gpm), dechlorination can be done with a simple big blue carbon block filter. Conventional ro systems can waste up to 4 gallons to purify just 1 gallon of water. I would go with a ro that utilizes Pentair GRO membrane with 1:1 ratio.
  12. Matt Peiris

Water softener flushing question

Mineral buildup is not much of a problem as documented below. "A study conducted at the University of Wisconsin introduced the backwash brine only to the soil dispersal component, not to the septic tank. The report suggests that additional research is needed to evaluate the effects of backwash...
  13. Matt Peiris

Fleck 5600sxt or 5810sxt

A softener alone should be able to get rid of both hardness and iron here right? All these conditions are met. Since hardness is 11 gpg, a cation softener can treat up to 5.5 ppm of iron (Shift's concentration is less) Manganese concentration is less than 1 ppm. Manganese concentration is...
  14. Matt Peiris

Water well filtration

I would go with 5810 XTR2. It's can backwash at a higher flow rate (use a 3/4" drain line), has a touchscreen controller & programmable relays to control any equipment you want to install downstream. You won't need a separate katalox light filter to remove iron, if there is enough calcium and...
  15. Matt Peiris

Looking for best whole house filter recommendations

Whole house filter will depend on the size of your house. A typical 1 bed/bath house can go with a simple big blue filter like BB-10CAB that filters out chlorine as well as organic chemicals. A larger house may need a backwashing filter like CCMG-0948. Decide the backwashing filter size after...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks