Recent content by Matt Helm

1. Matt Helm

Buried Propane Line

Copper is an option. I think I have always been subconsciously opposed to putting something that soft in the ground to carry gas. That, and the supposed issues with high sulphur gas. The redneck side of me would want to run copper in (vented) SCH 80 PVC conduit. Cut my brain some slack. I spent...
  2. Matt Helm

Buried Propane Line

If Grainger requires certs to purchase the Endot stuff, they certainly don't make it clear.
  3. Matt Helm

Buried Propane Line

Warning: This post may make some of you weep, gnash your teeth, and rend your garments. With that out of the way, I need to run a new buried propane line from the tank to the house. In the past (15 - 20 years ago), I have always used black pipe. Everybody I knew used black pipe. I like black...
  4. Matt Helm

Spray vs Air Injector for Aeration

I like it (I was going to have a couple float switches anyway). Ok to mount a submersible horizontally? Or, is that bad for the bearings/bushings/shaft?
  5. Matt Helm

How so? From the amount of oxidized iron?
  6. Matt Helm

For hydrogen sulfide and some other noxious gas. It may be that elemental sulfur will also be an issue with the pump. That is beyond my knowledge. Edited to add: I am planning on multiple stages of filtration between the jet pump and the pressure tank. Coarser for elemental sulfur produced by...
  7. Matt Helm

Here is a very simplified overview. It does not show the air vent, filtration, or control circuitry. I threw this drawing together for a vendor that I was thinking of getting some parts from.
  8. Matt Helm

Filtered vent to the outside. As the tank is drawn down (by a jet pump that is charging the pressure tank), fresh air is drawn into the aeration tank. During the next fill cycle, air is expelled. I am hoping to avoid a powered vent, but it isn't a big deal if I can't.
  9. Matt Helm

I am putting together an aeration tank. I would like to avoid using a venturi air injector. So, I am planning on filling the tank from the top with agricultural spray nozzles (sized appropriately for GPM and PSI). Thoughts?
  10. Matt Helm

How much trouble am I in? This may make your eyes bleed.

But... I heard that AAV's cause cancer, will kill your dog, and lead to divorce. :( Edited to add: It isn't just a mile of pipe. The existing stack is pretty inaccessible from here - which means making another hole in the roof. Sure, we are going to tear off the roof in a couple of years...
  11. Matt Helm

Uponor vs Viega (Propex Expansion vs Pureflow Crimp)

I am not usually looking for what costs the least. With tools and other objects I usually try find the 80/50 spot - 80% of the performance for 50% of the cost. However, with the plumbing in the walls I would rather pay extra for marginally better quality (within the constraints of the project -...
  12. Matt Helm

I am a better carpenter and electrician than I am plumber (I am not any kind of plumber though). I am not totally opposed to framing the room in, but my time is over-allocated as I also have to rewire it, relocate the front door and windows, etc. Something to keep in mind is that this is a walk...
  13. Matt Helm

I have not verified that, but will try to soon. I would be really surprised if there is a trap in there (judging by the quality of what I have see). I don't see this room ever having drywall in it. When we build the ground floor, we will probably put the real utility room on that floor. The...
  14. Matt Helm

Uponor vs Viega (Propex Expansion vs Pureflow Crimp)

As noted in another thread, I am getting ready to completely re-pipe a house we are buying. I was all set to order the M12 expander tool and go with the Uponor system. However, a plumber acquaintance of mine does a lot of Viega crimp work and offered to loan me the crimp tools. Sooooo, I...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks