Recent content by mathfogie

1. mathfogie

Trouble refilling system after new expansion tank

Never mind. Problem solved. For a correctly working system, the autofill supplies zero ounces of water per year. For many other homes it supplies perhaps a few ounces per month. A little web research led me to discover the gadget downstream from the antibackflow was a pressure regulator and...
  2. mathfogie

I can take extra pictures in case any would be useful. Just say what would help..
  3. mathfogie

Sorry for the delayed response. Pictures are at the end of this. I will try to post this with the pictures, but if that fails I'll post the text and try some other way with the pictures. There are shutoff valves on the supply side of the heating system, beyond the expansion tank. One for each...
  4. mathfogie

I have what I think is a fairly typical forced hot water heating system. There is a pump on each of the three zone return pipes, before they merge and return the water to be reheated. The refill water goes through a nobackflow valve and into the merged return pipe. The expansion tank and air...
  5. mathfogie

Strange noises from forced hot water heating system

I do not know about the pressure in the system. There is a pressure reducing valve just downstream from the meter. It does not have a meter and has not been touched for several decades. There is an expansion tank on the output side of the boiler. It also has no meter. There is a pressure gauge...
  6. mathfogie

Strange noises from forced hot water heating system

I have strange noises in one part of my heating system. It is forced hot water, Peerless boiler, Beckett burner, installed about 1990, replacing a builder's special. In 2012, I had a contractor split the first floor zone into two zones. The original layout had several baseboard radiators on...
  7. mathfogie

Heat leaking from one zone to another

Thanks for the explanation. I had seen the check valves but did not realize what they were. If I thought about them at all I probably thought they were for reducing pressure or flow. The zone that heat is leaking into has a Taco 007F3R circulator. The Taco web site seems to have IFC as part of...
  8. mathfogie

Heat leaking from one zone to another

In a forced hot water heating system, how much heat should leak from one zone to another? I live in a two story house in New England. When built, it had one zone for each floor. There is a fireplace in the family room, and doors make it convenient to isolate the family room and kitchen...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks