Recent content by Mark Ezrin

1. Mark Ezrin

Can you "refinish" scratches on a white porcelain toilet bowl?

Thank you. I'm hoping that might do the trick. Good thought. Now, I just need to figure out how to solve the backup. My inlaws' shower and toiled are connected so that when we plunged the toiled, water went into the shower. I've tried a snake and auger from both spots. Both get caught I think...
  2. Mark Ezrin

Can you "refinish" scratches on a white porcelain toilet bowl?

It is a Kohler toilet. I screwed up when I went to snake it and scratched it in the bottom area where the water return is. Thanks.
  3. Mark Ezrin

New Sump Pump Advice

I will leave it. I'm going to try with my shop vac (it turns into an electric blower) from the basin 1st and then from the outside steps side. I do have a gas leaf blower but the shop vac attachments to get it into the basin side don't fit, but I can do it from the outside steps. I am/was a...
  4. Mark Ezrin

New Sump Pump Advice

I just want to belatedly thank everyone for their help. I installed the Zoeller M63, and replaced the original PVC pipe, PVC fitting and the check valve. It is glued and the sump pump has been operational. I'm still keeping an eye on the drain from the back steps. Water is getting through but I...
  5. Mark Ezrin

Mold Remediation

Hi, What are the recommended methods to stop mold ore get rid of it. (1) I had a couple of leaks in a few spots around the house - under a sink and also from a pipe in the storeroom. They weren't floods but because water did get into some places, I'd like to make sure I take appropriate steps...
  6. Mark Ezrin

New Sump Pump Advice

I want to sincerely thank everyone for all their help. So far, we still have no rain where I live in Maryland. Yesterday's storm seemed to skirt us. Zoeller M63 is installed. I did buy a new threaded male adapter and a 2' PVC tube. I did go with a new check valve cause I just figured after 22...
  7. Mark Ezrin

New Sump Pump Advice

If I went with a battery backup, any particular model(s) you'd suggest? Seems like the Basement Watchdog Special or Big Dog are my best 2 (of the 3) options they offer. Any other brands meet the reliability?
  8. Mark Ezrin

New Sump Pump Advice

I figured that is kind of what it was. And after a little google search, who knows what they did on anything around the house. So, at this point, a sock is unfortunately an academic discussion since we don't know. However, I found things like this trap and was thinking it might not be a bad...
  9. Mark Ezrin

New Sump Pump Advice

Lots of things aren't made the way they used to be made. Everyone makes great points and since we've had a drought here, I've been digesting information. It's like when I'm advising my friends with smart home tech. Most of the major brands (and upstarts which is kind of funny to say relative to...
  10. Mark Ezrin

New Sump Pump Advice

No rain gutters run to the pit. Just the back drain, exterior water and HVAC stuff. Yes, the clog was rare. 22 years in the house and this is the 1st I missed some leaves and stuff that eventually got into the drain/pipe. Since I'm kind of a novice, where would the sock go in the system? I get...
  11. Mark Ezrin

New Sump Pump Advice

Not sure when the pump died vs water in the basin. So I can't accurately know. Well, you're getting a feel for my nervousness. Yeah it's possible. I have a relatively long snake and with the lid off I could use my shopvac. It doubles as a blower. No gully washers in the forecast but this...
  12. Mark Ezrin

New Sump Pump Advice

(1) What would tell me/indicate I need to replace the check valve? (2) What is my risk to damaging the new one by not sucking out the dirty water in the sump pump basin? Would you empty it? (3) Would a yard blower be a good idea to clean the various lines in/out? Or snake turn? (4) are you...
  13. Mark Ezrin

New Sump Pump Advice

Hi, the large pipe is a radon vent pipe. Yeah, from everything I looked at, it doesn't look like a particularly hard job. I'm guessing I can still use the check valve that is there. Yeah, I saw the instructions mentioned the 3/16" hole and I'll confirm it is there. Thanks for the reminder...
  14. Mark Ezrin

New Sump Pump Advice

Yes, I can explain the skuzzy water. It is definitely not sewage and is for groundwater, etc. A traditional sump pump. I have an inground basement with rear walk-up steps. At the base of the steps is a drain. I get tons of leaves as I back up to the woods. After 22 years, this is the 1st time I...
  15. Mark Ezrin

New Sump Pump Advice

I need to replace my sump pump and want to take a swing at doing it myself. The pump is 22 years old and I'm pretty sure it failed. The outlet is working so I know it isn't power. I have standing water where the pump is sitting. (1) Do I need to drain the water out of the area where the pump...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks