Recent content by Makemenuconfig

1. Makemenuconfig

Critique: Tankless with recirc loop and storage tank

Return line loops through the small tank, which would do the heating just for the recirc. There would always be hot water in the tank to be circulated as needed. I guess I got scared away from Navien from that YouTube guy with the heat exchanger issues on the NCB type units.
  2. Makemenuconfig

It's just that I already have the Rinnai water heater, it's been in service for about 2 years now. So I'd like to work with what I've got. I'll look into the D'mand system.
  3. Makemenuconfig

Hi, I have a Rinnai gas tankless which I am relocating due to an addition I'm building. The water heater will move to the garage, where it will be centrally located between the house and addition. It is a big enough house that a recirc line will be necessary. Since there is house in either...
  4. Makemenuconfig

Can I use a specialty CPVC fitting in a DWV application?

Update: Ferguson didn't even have the P102 fitting in their system. I was able to get ahold of a fabricated fitting through a site called "pvc fittings online" and it's going to work perfect. https://www.pvcfittingsonline.com/3-x-2-sch-40-pvc-eccentric-reducer-coupling-soc-429-338fe.html
  5. Makemenuconfig

Yes, SupplyHouse.com is where I'm ordering. 449-338E is a schedule 40 water fitting, it does not have the proper internal geometry for DWV, it creates a lip. See attached photo (looking through 2" hole into 3" pipe, note the lip in the direction of flow created by 3" pipe). P102-338E is what I...
  6. Makemenuconfig

I know PVC and CPVC usually don't mix. But I'm running out of options here. I'm roughing in a shower and am extremely limited on vertical height / slope. I have a horizontal 3" trunk which the 2" shower drain is joining. I can make 1/4" pitch on the 2" pipe if (and only if) I use an eccentric...
  7. Makemenuconfig

Is it legal to use a schedule 40 fitting in a DWV application for a trap primer?

I need to install a trap primer for a couple of new construction emergency floor drains, and I'm under the UPC. There are a few solutions which go between the drain and trap that allow a 1/2" FPT connection from the trap primer, but they are all very backordered as far as I can tell. However...
  8. Makemenuconfig

Anything wrong with running a 1/4 bend into a wye?

I was wondering if somebody was going to notice the vent. That's just scrap I had lying around to make the point. The main line is directly under a wall, so that first 45 will just go straight up into the wall and through the attic.
  9. Makemenuconfig

Anything wrong with running a 1/4 bend into a wye?

If I remember correctly, 45 degrees is considered vertical, so it seems like I should be able to use a 1/4 bend (with a heel to vent) into a wye like this. Does this work for a WC?
  10. Makemenuconfig

Gas piping routing options & best meter location

I'm sure 1-1/4 would have functioned fine. With a residential system this large, I'm willing to bet it never runs at full capacity in its entire service life. Even if it did and exceeded 0.5" drop, the most sensitive fixture is the BBQ, and dropping below its minimum isn't going to cause a...
  11. Makemenuconfig

Math was the key, thanks Wayne. Using the simplified low pressure Spitzglass formula I calculated the farthest / most sensitive fixture (BBQ) has a total drop (from start of 2" to fixture) of 0.324" WC. If I want to stay at a total drop of 0.5" WC, then I need this reduced meter portion and...
  12. Makemenuconfig

Hopefully my last question for you all on this project. New meter connection is happening in two weeks. Meter outlet will be 1-1/4", and main trunk is 2". Code isn't super clear about the amount of acceptable pipe length before upsizing at the meter. I want to install a ball valve and seismic...
  13. Makemenuconfig

Sure is. PSE is very clear you can shut off your gas in emergency or for new work, but you HAVE TO call them to turn it back on otherwise you might blow something up or whatever. Since this is the first step in a large addition, the 2" line will be extended into the addition, and I'll install a...
  14. Makemenuconfig

Thanks! Somehow I like working with 45's. The inspector was very brief and passed me, then the gas co. came out to turn the meter back on. The tech said he wished more contractors did work like this, he liked my use of split ring hangers on the wall and the escutcheon I made on the outside. He...
  15. Makemenuconfig

Got it done. It was better than I expected, but still not fun. Surprisingly laying on your back right next to the pipe gives you decent leverage. Used the 18" wrench. Threads on one of the couplings or pipes must have not been cut perfectly straight at the factory, had maybe a 1 degree angle on...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks