Recent content by LeBlanc

1. LeBlanc

HWH Boiler – how to adapt a Wi-Fi Thermostat

This is perfect! Truly appreciated. I'm thinking we will purchase the Honeywell Wi-Fi 9000 Smart Thermostat and will plan to install it in late April. That way, if I mess something up that requires professional repair, at least the pipes won't freeze while waiting for help! Again, thank you...
  2. LeBlanc

Thank you. I'm sorry that I'm such a non-electrician, but this makes no sense to me. If you know, can I use one of the four extra wires running from the thermostat to the boiler to make this work? If so, which color wire, and specifically where will each end of the wire connect?
  3. LeBlanc

Hey all: Several years ago when I had never used Hot Water Heating systems, I asked whether it would be a good move to replace it with Forced Air in our northern Michigan cottage. I am so glad that this forum told me I’d be nuts to do that. We’ve really liked the GWA-105N-I natural gas fired...
  4. LeBlanc

? about new water heater. No rotten egg smell?

OK. I installed the Corro-Protec anode rod, replaced the drain valve, drained and flushed the tank, and we're pleased! Our cottage water heater was manufactured in 2004, is served by a well and a softener, is turned off when we're not there, was drained last in 2009, and during 2018 the hot...
  5. LeBlanc

Good idea, especially since ALL faucets are below the height of the WH. Thank you.
  6. LeBlanc

Yes, I open all faucets to decrease the chance of freezing, but also so as to not have softened water in the lines for 3-4 weeks without activity. Good to know that even if powered with no water covering it, the unit will not be harmed. Thank you.
  7. LeBlanc

VincentV3 and others, I'm curious: We purchased and just received the 40-80 gallon Corro-Protec unit for our northern Michigan cottage where we have a private well and use a softener for our 50 gallon natural gas water heater. I'm to install it tonight, and we're anxious to lose the smelly...
  8. LeBlanc

Frozen line - OK to leave power on?

Sorry for my incomplete question. It is a submersible pump in a 290 foot well. And I have not allowed the power to remain on. It sounded wrong, and I appreciate that you folks validated my concern. Any suggestions regarding burying a heat tape line? It would range from about 4 feet deep at...
  9. LeBlanc

Frozen line - OK to leave power on?

I have a frozen pipe between my well head at my northern Michigan house. We visit only a few times during the winter, and I always shut off power to the pump, open all faucets, and keep the heat on its lowest setting. The feed line extends about 15 feet from the well casing to where it enters...
  10. LeBlanc

Frozen well pipe

Sorry to hijack this post, but I have a similar issue involving a frozen pipe between my well head and my northern Michigan house. We visit only a few times during the winter, and I always shut off power to the pump, open all faucets, and keep the heat on its lowest setting. Though it has...
  11. LeBlanc

Odor - Hot Water only (within a well-water, water softener system)

Uh oh. You mean there's supposed to be two different materials in there? Like, perhaps, the "brine" is what I thought was rock salt?
  12. LeBlanc

The odor issue has FINALLY been solved. And it was not at all what I would have imagined. High use over the past weekend (lots of guests; lots of showers, etc.) caused the softener and well-water holding tank to sweat profusely. This has been an issue, but it was REALLY sweating, and I...
  13. LeBlanc

Thank you to everyone for the suggestions. I'll ask the local handyman (who has done great work for me in the past) to rig one of these. It seems like this, combined with super-hot water upon our initial arrival, will do the trick. Again, thank you.
  14. LeBlanc

Wow. Thank you, Dittohead. I had no idea it could have been bacteria. For a number of reasons, I will employ the heat sanitization method during my next visit in May. Since I will likely be alone during that trip, hazards to others should not be an issue. I truly appreciate knowing this...
  15. LeBlanc

We have a water-odor issue, but it's only on the Hot Water side of our well-water system (with a water softener). My family owns a house in Michigan we use sporadically. The well water system is connected to a water softener that’s been in place for about 12 years. When we leave the...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks