Recent content by Layne

1. Layne

Bathroom design

Moving on to the next problem... putting the lavatory vent in the usual place where I originally drew it is near to impossible. That's the original outside wall of the house and there's a beam directly under that wall. How can I best get the vent into the side wall to the left? Can I do an S...
  2. Layne

Bathroom design

Alright, I think I've got it. Here's a new one since I failed to mention several electrical conduits that come up from the ground into the same wall where the vent stack will be, the tub drain has to go out around them. So a 2" from the tub goes into a 3" combo-wye that turns up to the vent...
  3. Layne

Bathroom design

If a horizontal wet vent is ok, I'd probably want to go more like this...? The only thing that I think might make this better than the one above is that a cleanout in the vent stack (in the closet to the right of the bathroom) would have better access to the soil pipe. Another question, if the...
  4. Layne

Bathroom design

Let me see if I understood what you wrote... The tub flows under the wall where a combo-wye turned up towards the sky becomes the vent stack before the toilet joins in with another combo-wye laid flat on its side? That makes the portion between the vent and the toilet a wet vent, right? I think...
  5. Layne

Bathroom design

1) Yes flow is right to left. Off to the left of my drawing it will make a second 45 degree turn, and then straight for about 30ft to the septic tank. There's about 4ft of total drop from the toilet to the septic tank. 2) Yes, those are vents. They'll all merge into the main stack inside the...
  6. Layne

Bathroom design

I've torn out a 1930's era bathroom with nothing still usable, so I'm now tasked with building a new one from scratch. I live outside of any city, so no need for inspections or strict code adherence, but of course I want it to work properly anyway. Here's a bird's eye view of what I'm working...
  7. Layne

Which condensate drain is better?

This will not be inspected, I just prefer to do things as correctly as possible. So I have a loft above a laundry room that contains an air conditioner and a water heater. I need a place to drain the a/c's condensate and also to connect the drain pan for the water heater. Initially I planned to...
  8. Layne

Replacing old galvanized water supply line from meter to entry at house

As I recall the most important thing was to get the same material above and below the pipe (I believe they used gravel). Setting the pipe directly onto undisturbed dirt and then refilling with topsoil mixed in was the cause of the problem I read about. Definitely do your own research on it, I'm...
  9. Layne

Gas pipe compression fitting

Is this a bad place to ask a gas related question, or is everyone afriad I'll blow up my house and then try to sue you for giving advice? :p
  10. Layne

Replacing old galvanized water supply line from meter to entry at house

I've only been to San Jose in the summer, but it never get's much below freezing does it? I'd be surprised if the pipe is much more than 1ft deep. I wouldn't personally want to use the trenching machine. If you hit the steel pipe with it you could damage the machine, so you won't be able to...
  11. Layne

Gas pipe compression fitting

I saw this fitting on my gas pipe under the house where the pipe had been modified probably 30 years ago and I didn't like the looks of it. Then I saw one on the shelf at lowe's and realized that is has rubber inside, and that makes me really uncomfortable. Would you replace it with something...
  12. Layne

What whites best match Kohler white?

I'm sure that's true. I imagine you could put in a neon orange toilet and you'd stop noticing it in a week or 2.
  13. Layne

What whites best match Kohler white?

I recently read that Kohler white does not match American Standard white, though I can't personally confirm it. I was trying to learn the difference between Toto's cotton white and colonial white and that's exactly it, one matches kohler, one matches American Standard.
  14. Layne

Check this Y before I glue it

Ok, problem solved I hope. I put the tub back the way it was (minus the lead trap), and found another place at the end of the 4" horizontal pipe where I can Tee in the washer. I went in the attic to confirm the vent will work out and it looks like no problem. The hub donut was only loose because...
  15. Layne

Check this Y before I glue it

Right. I was thinking like this. But do I cap off or T in the pipe marked in green?
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks